[SOLVED] Power cables for 3080 Ti ?

Feb 9, 2022
hey im gonna be getting a rtx 3080 ti and i have a rm850x psu and it only comes with two cables dose it lose alot of performance using the dongles cuz i cant find were i can buy another cable

Solution
The power supply should come with 3 separate pcie 8pin to 2x6+2 cables. I would prefer powering 3080ti with 3 separate cables but you could probably get away with using cable that fans out to 2x 8.

If you were to buy cable (hopefully you don't and 3rd cable is just misplaced somewhere, that's if you bought the psu new and not second hand with missing cables) then directly from Corsair.

Never mix modular cables from different psu brands (and different models between brands), also goes for singular bought cables, unless you're 100% sure and tested the pinouts are the same for your psu because they often aren't and could be feeding power to one of the pins of the device (ie gpu or drive) when it shouldn't be and cause major damage...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The power supply should come with 3 separate pcie 8pin to 2x6+2 cables. I would prefer powering 3080ti with 3 separate cables but you could probably get away with using cable that fans out to 2x 8.

If you were to buy cable (hopefully you don't and 3rd cable is just misplaced somewhere, that's if you bought the psu new and not second hand with missing cables) then directly from Corsair.

Never mix modular cables from different psu brands (and different models between brands), also goes for singular bought cables, unless you're 100% sure and tested the pinouts are the same for your psu because they often aren't and could be feeding power to one of the pins of the device (ie gpu or drive) when it shouldn't be and cause major damage. Different psus route power differently and cables it comes with make the difference and correct the pin arrangements for the thing it's connecting to.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Cabling gauge varies between PSUs. The idea of spreading the load out is to reduce voltage drop and wire heating. In older multi-rail designs it is even more important to avoid over current protection tripping.

Jonnyguru from Corsair has given his vote of confidence for the RM850X running a 3080 Ti with only two of the cables. They use a particularly heavy gauge that can handle a lot more than than a cheap power supply. I use three separate 8-pin to 8-pin cables since I am using aftermarket ones.

KyaraM

Admirable
I mean
Cabling gauge varies between PSUs. The idea of spreading the load out is to reduce voltage drop and wire heating. In older multi-rail designs it is even more important to avoid over current protection tripping.

Jonnyguru from Corsair has given his vote of confidence for the RM850X running a 3080 Ti with only two of the cables. They use a particularly heavy gauge that can handle a lot more than than a cheap power supply. I use three separate 8-pin to 8-pin cables since I am using aftermarket ones.
I mean I use a brand new Straight Power 11 from BeQuiet!. Call me foolish, but I don't really expect issues from a top tier PSU in this regard...

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not saying you can't do it, just saying why it is possible. If they daisy chain multiple PCIe connectors off a single cable, you can bet that cable is not the typical 18 gauge but 16 gauge (thicker). But that doesn't stop less scrupulous companies from skipping it.