[SOLVED] 3080 vs 6900 XT at Current Prices?

Apr 19, 2021
When all of the current generation cards launched it seems like the prevailing wisdom from most major reviewers was that the 3090 and 6900 XT were both bad buys as halo products and that folks should buy the 3080 and 6800 XT options at the top end since the performance boost of the flagships wasn't worth the price increase.

Given both the AIB price hikes and tariffs has that changed now that we are about a half a year into this? I think if you are considering AIB 6900 XTs you probably still turn them down with their crazy prices but these days if you can get a reference 6900 XT it's going to be cheaper than a lot of 3080s.

Would you keep a $999 reference AMD 6900 XT or a $1060 MSI Ventus 3X 3080?

You are good on the psu.
If im being honest, you are unlikely to see a big fps difference between the two. From what i've seen on yt, 6900XT is either the same as 3080 or ahead by 5-10 FPS depending on the game so at the end of the day there is no clear winner.
My choice: 6900XT because it has more VRM that you might use later in the future.
Not that the +6GB of Vram is more usable for gaming (alteast currently), but its just nice to have and who knows you might upgrade to a 4k display or something and you want to run super demanding games at ultra quality and that will for sure eat the VRAM.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming at 1440p: overall, probably the 6900XT. If you are only interested in performance in specific titles, I strongly suggest you look up benchmarks(if available). Game engines will favor one or the other.
Game at 4K: 3080. "It just works" better at that resolution.

Ray tracing/DLSS: 3080. 6900XT sucks here, but I feel that's a given; it's AMD's first implementation of it. I'm cutting them some slack.
Nvidia's already at work on the 3rd gen.
It's not all sunshines and rainbows over with the 3080 though. Adoption of those features has been slow; they are pretty much exclusive to the latest AAA titles.[Give the indies and lesser As some love, Nvidia!]
If that's all you play though, you're in a good spot.
They're nice to haves, but not something I'd base a gpu purchase off of. I should have a better opinion of it once adoption spreads further.

Apr 19, 2021
Gaming at 1440p: overall, probably the 6900XT. If you are only interested in performance in specific titles, I strongly suggest you look up benchmarks(if available). Game engines will favor one or the other.
Game at 4K: 3080. "It just works" better at that resolution.

Ray tracing/DLSS: 3080. 6900XT sucks here, but I feel that's a given; it's AMD's first implementation of it. I'm cutting them some slack.
Nvidia's already at work on the 3rd gen.
It's not all sunshines and rainbows over with the 3080 though. Adoption of those features has been slow; they are pretty much exclusive to the latest AAA titles.[Give the indies and lesser As some love, Nvidia!]
If that's all you play though, you're in a good spot.
They're nice to haves, but not something I'd base a gpu purchase off of. I should have a better opinion of it once adoption spreads further.

I feel like I want to go with the 6900 XT then someone mentioned mining and that throws me for a loop. Never done it before and not super interested...but could always use an extra couple hundred dollars a month.

As far as gaming I'm not concerned about RT or DLSS at all. Interested to see what AMDs DLSS type implementation does for things too.

Reactions: Dj0gany