[SOLVED] 3080 with With Pure Power 11 600w?

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Hey will i need to upgrade my power supply when getting a 3080?

CPU: I7-9700K
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengence 3200mhz
MOBO: MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
GPU(current): XFX RX 480 8GB
PSU: Pure Power 11 600w

Solution
I would say yes you need to upgrade, its on the low end and I wouldn't feel comfortable using a 600Watt PSU. Recommended PSU for worst case scenario is 750Watt. Since you have an "K" processor I assume you overclock. You buying an very expensive graphics card, so I would don't want to risk that it might blow due to a insufficient power supply. Do yourself a favor and put at least a 750W quality PSU in there. There is some good ones that will give 10 year warranty and will last you several builds....

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I would say yes you need to upgrade, its on the low end and I wouldn't feel comfortable using a 600Watt PSU. Recommended PSU for worst case scenario is 750Watt. Since you have an "K" processor I assume you overclock. You buying an very expensive graphics card, so I would don't want to risk that it might blow due to a insufficient power supply. Do yourself a favor and put at least a 750W quality PSU in there. There is some good ones that will give 10 year warranty and will last you several builds....

Last edited:
Solution

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
NVidia's recommendations are based on knowing absolutely nothing about your own personal system, and with their own best interests in mind. It costs them nothing to recommend more power headroom than actually needed.

You've got a 320watt video card paired with a 95watt cpu. You're not overclocking (I assume), and you only have 16gb of ram, so unless you have a large number of drives, your max power draw will likely be 480-520watts. You'll be pulling 85% of the PSU's maximum rated draw. I wouldn't recommend that with a poor quality PSU, but if that's the be Quiet model you have, it should be sufficient

Nvidia recommend a 750w minimum for the 3080 in an everyday system, so 600w will not be sufficient to leave headroom for other hardware components. For example the AIB boards are also going 750w minimum...

https://www.techradar.com/news/asus-rog-strix-rtx-3080-might-be-too-demanding-for-your-old-psu
Actually NVidia’s recommendation of 750w is with a 10900k, a cpu capable of taking over 250w for brief periods. The actually say

“2 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration.”

However it’s reasonable to expect partner gpu’s to need more power but will have to wait for reviews. I certainly would not risk a 3080 on a 600w psu.

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Thank you so much! Would you maybe recomend a 800w?

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Actually NVidia’s recommendation of 750w is with a 10900k, a cpu capable of taking over 250w for brief periods. The actually say

“2 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration.”

However it’s reasonable to expect partner gpu’s to need more power but will have to wait for reviews. I certainly would not risk a 3080 on a 600w psu.

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
NVidia's recommendations are based on knowing absolutely nothing about your own personal system, and with their own best interests in mind. It costs them nothing to recommend more power headroom than actually needed.

You've got a 320watt video card paired with a 95watt cpu. You're not overclocking (I assume), and you only have 16gb of ram, so unless you have a large number of drives, your max power draw will likely be 480-520watts. You'll be pulling 85% of the PSU's maximum rated draw. I wouldn't recommend that with a poor quality PSU, but if that's the be Quiet model you have, it should be sufficient

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Nvidia recommend a 750w minimum for the 3080 in an everyday system, so 600w will not be sufficient to leave headroom for other hardware components. For example the AIB boards are also going 750w minimum...

https://www.techradar.com/news/asus-rog-strix-rtx-3080-might-be-too-demanding-for-your-old-psu

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Well they say 750W considering your average gamer, its a safe figure, and tbh, technically speaking a good 600W should be able to run it, without problems if I may say, but very on the edge, and generally not a good idea to do so... but i know people that did the math and are going to run with a 650W psu, because the rest of the system isnt power hungry, this and that, is their 3080 going to blow? only time will tell, i'd upgrade to a good 750+ one,

Clueless02

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Well they say 750W considering your average gamer, its a safe figure, and tbh, technically speaking a good 600W should be able to run it, without problems if I may say, but very on the edge, and generally not a good idea to do so... but i know people that did the math and are going to run with a 650W psu, because the rest of the system isnt power hungry, this and that, is their 3080 going to blow? only time will tell, i'd upgrade to a good 750+ one,
I'm in a similar boat. A built-in 650 watt PSU in my InWin A1 Pro. Think with 16Gb of ram and a 3700x a 3080 would blow? I plan to run everything stock

I'm in a similar boat. A built-in 650 watt PSU in my InWin A1 Pro. Think with 16Gb of ram and a 3700x a 3080 would blow? I plan to run everything stock

no, specially on a 3700x a TDP of 90W in comparison, to say, a 10700k 125w. The thing is, and let me clear, PSU is never a thing you should playing cheap or risking, but lets do some basic maths here, the FE 3080 has a base target W of 320W, and that goes 410W already with the CPU, wich is the max the card and the cpu would draw on stock values, overclock makes this worse obviously, the 3080 FE if im not wrong, could draw a much as 370W if you use things like MSI afterburner to increase the power limit, but lets play stock... and while i shouldnt assume the average user rig, lets just say 2x8 ram, 2-3 case fans, a decent cooling solution, a SSD, non truckload of RGBs, it should be perfectly fine provided its a good PSU, corsair, seasonic, etc etc, also because all PSU's have power loses, some more and some less, so the final output isnt 650W, lets say a good one actually provides a real 610W or so delivery.

see where this is going? while this setup would run the 3080 perfectly fine, nvidia doesnt want to risk lawsuits, their image, RMA and so on, and for that matter, some folks would really be playing close to the 650w limit or even crossing it by a margin going all crazy on overclocks and what nots, with that said, nvidia decided to go better safe than sorry. Lastly, im not saying you should do it, or that I would do it, but for what you're telling me, if you psu is good and efficient, yep its not gonna explode.

Clueless02

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
no, specially on a 3700x a TDP of 90W in comparison, to say, a 10700k 125w. The thing is, and let me clear, PSU is never a thing you should playing cheap or risking, but lets do some basic maths here, the FE 3080 has a base target W of 320W, and that goes 410W already with the CPU, wich is the max the card and the cpu would draw on stock values, overclock makes this worse obviously, the 3080 FE if im not wrong, could draw a much as 370W if you use things like MSI afterburner to increase the power limit, but lets play stock... and while i shouldnt assume the average user rig, lets just say 2x8 ram, 2-3 case fans, a decent cooling solution, a SSD, non truckload of RGBs, it should be perfectly fine provided its a good PSU, corsair, seasonic, etc etc, also because all PSU's have power loses, some more and some less, so the final output isnt 650W, lets say a good one actually provides a real 610W or so delivery.

see where this is going? while this setup would run the 3080 perfectly fine, nvidia doesnt want to risk lawsuits, their image, RMA and so on, and for that matter, some folks would really be playing close to the 650w limit or even crossing it by a margin going all crazy on overclocks and what nots, with that said, nvidia decided to go better safe than sorry. Lastly, im not saying you should do it, or that I would do it, but for what you're telling me, if you psu is good and efficient, yep its not gonna explode.
Yeah, I don't feel great doing it, but I think it's a worthwhile calculated risk. I obviously will do precisely 0% overclocks and the 3700x is quite power efficient. So with 2 SSD's (one PCIe but only 500 GB) and two strings of RGB and 4 fans, I think I'll be okay. Not great, not ideal, but not an insane to toss the dice. My calculations with a ITX mobo is coming out to about 560W. My really only pause is that it's likely not a good PSU.

Last edited: