Question 3080 worse than 1080ti (help)

Sep 30, 2020
Edit: I managed to fix it, I updated my bios, increased ram speed & reinstalled my drivers.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a 3080 at a microcenter, I usually play cod mw 2019 & the card i previously had was a 1080ti ftw3. After installing my 3080 (evga 3885) I tried it out on overwatch which performed far better than my 1080ti, no comparison, then I tried it on cod and its running far worse than my 1080, my avg fps is around 120-130 my 1080 got 140-150fps on average, this is on the lowest settings.

Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9zCgTC

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020
What driver version you on?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-driver-fixes-rtx-3080-3090-stability

Your issue is most likely between game (which COD?) and gpu driver. Wouldn't worry about IF there's something wrong with your system and focus your efforts on these two. It's being worked on so hopefully things will improve soon.

I have the most recent driver, what confuses me is that other people with similar builds are getting 200+ fps but im barely breaking 120. Other games are fine but this one isn't performing, im playing cod mw 2019 (the one with warzone)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Need to investigate the game itself. Possibly gsync or this reflex feature related since it was introduced with the latest driver. Not sure if this is a setting or implemented as an automatic feature.

Those other people, are they on the same driver? Would be difficult to know. Whilst trying to fix mass crashing issues, the newest driver could have caused other issues.

This is why i don't want you sweating over any other aspect of your rig because it is most likely game/driver trolling you.

I suggest visit Geforce.com and checkout driver feedback forum.

Meantime, try disable fullscreen optimisation for Cod's launch app under compatibility. And if using Geforce Experience to optimise, revert it's settings and change game settings manually. Look for antialiasing/ resolution scaling and don't set it too high for now.

Sep 30, 2020
Need to investigate the game itself. Possibly gsync or this reflex feature related since it was introduced with the latest driver. Not sure if this is a setting or implemented as an automatic feature.

Those other people, are they on the same driver? Would be difficult to know. Whilst trying to fix mass crashing issues, the newest driver could have caused other issues.

This is why i don't want you sweating over any other aspect of your rig because it is most likely game/driver trolling you.

I suggest visit Geforce.com and checkout driver feedback forum.

Meantime, try disable fullscreen optimisation for Cod's launch app under compatibility. And if using Geforce Experience to optimise, revert it's settings and change game settings manually. Look for antialiasing/ resolution scaling and don't set it too high for now.
I will do that, I forgot to mention another issue along with whats going on, even though I'm playing on the lowest settings possible it says my gpu (the 3080) is using about 80-90% on average which is insane, also says im using 9gb/10gb of vram again despite being on the lowest settings, even my 1080 didn't have this issue. I would assume they are using the same driver considering they posted the video not long ago.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
High usage with gpu's is fine, it's the cpu you don't want maxing out.

Vram is used as storage to limit the need to pull data from hdd/ram. It's not just used for rendering on the fly.

When was the video made? Newest driver (456.55) released on the 28th.

Sep 30, 2020

Vram is used as storage to limit the need to pull data from hdd/ram. It's not just used for rendering on the fly.

It was

It was released a few days before the 28th, my cpu usage actually is very high again despite being on lowest settings possible which didn't happen before.

Sep 30, 2020

Ok so I just checked a few other games and it appears to be happening on all of my games, im getting random stutters, unstable fps and low fps. Am I bottlenecking? I feel like I shouldn't have installed this 3080 in this pc.

I will try this but if it doesn't work what might be the issue and what may have caused this if it is the issue?
To be fair this is just a routine step when having gpu performance issues to rule out any driver corruption. Sometimes just reinstalling a driver isn’t enough to remove a corruption. How it happens I’m not entirely sure but this process has helped me and I know it’s helped many others. Not saying it’s definitely the fix for your problem but it is worth trying.

Sep 30, 2020
have you checked the temps of Cpu and Gpu? What Ghz are you using on 8700K
It fluctuates by itself between 3.7ghz and 4.2ghz on its own, as for the temperature im not sure as I don't know how to check it, when im playing cod for example my cpu is always around 85-90% usage while my gpu is somehow at 80%+ even though my settings are on lowest. This only started happening after I installed the 3080.

A program like MSIAfterburner is a good way to monitor cpu and gpu temperatures, it can record them while you game.

Another tool is try running userbenchmarkand sharing the public link to the results. Sometimes it helps with spotting what piece of hardware is not performing as it should.

TRENDING THREADS