Question 3080M GPU not displaying on new ASUS ROG Strix Scar 15 (2021) laptop

Mar 25, 2022
I ordered this (G533QS-DS76) laptop off a 3rd party seller on Amazon for a surprisingly good price. At first I was skeptical it had some very bad cosmetic damage but the description stated it was in new/unused condition. I got it for around $1700 before tax. Unboxed the packaging, seal for the laptop looks untouched. I setup Windows, do a clean install with my own USB with an ISO image of Windows 10. I used media creation tool to avoid all the ASUS bloatware as I always do for setting up PCs without a problem. I also found a redditor with the same exact problem as me here.

After installing most of the software/drivers etc I noticed that the GPU is displaying a code error 43 message. Never seen this error before, did some google research and found out usually its just a bad driver issue what I came around. Did a DDU, reinstalled latest Nvidia mobile driver for the laptop for the 3080. Reboot, updated to the latest Windows 10 21H2 build same error... I've done everything that I know troubleshooting wise to try and fix this problem. I've listed everything I've already done below just incase someone suggests something I've already tried.
  • Clean fresh reinstall of Windows 10 using media creation tool
  • Tried latest and previous driver using Nvidia's advanced driver search, also tried earliest driver I could find for the GPU.
  • Backed up VBIOS of the GPU using GPU-Z, flashed new VBIOS using NVFlash from the list on TechPowered up here: 1, 2, 3.
  • GPU-Z identifies the GPU but some values are not being displayed.. the GPU even shows up in the BIOS oddly enough. Here's a screenshot of GPU-Z.
  • Tried updating laptop BIOS and all drivers per ASUS's website support site here.
  • After the drivers for the GPU, Nvidia control panel does not open at all either.
  • Tried opening ASUS' armory crate app to see if the GPU is listed, shows the GPU but all core/memory clock speeds are 0 and fan speed shows 0 RPM.
  • Geforce Experience always prompt to download / install latest driver even when I tried installing the latest one and rebooted.
I contacted Amazon to return the laptop for a replacement or refund. Amazon support told me that per their policy they are not entitled to resolve the dispute with the seller since it was sold and shipped by them and is not under their responsibility. The seller told me their would be a 30% restocking fee per the items value. I thought that would be complete BS to send it back and they keep 30% of my money for a broken laptop when the description showed new/unused. Amazon support said even if I charged back with my bank my Amazon account would be closed and permanently banned. At this point I have no idea what to do but try and fix it my self or send it in to someone for repair but I really don't want to pay more than $500 to get it repaired. My only options seem to be self-repair, contact ASUS for any assistance, or 3rd party repair at this point. I appreciate any assistance, and would be willing to reward anyone who can help me fix this.

Mar 25, 2022

If they're no help then it looks like you gotta drop more cash for a repair. Consider it a lesson learned.

Lesson learned how? For buying a laptop with a description stating it was new/unused by a reputable seller with positive feedback? If you have nothing productive to say towards the actual issue, don't bother replying.

Lesson learned how? For buying a laptop with a description stating it was new/unused by a reputable seller with positive feedback? If you have nothing productive to say towards the actual issue, don't bother replying.

The lesson is make sure you know who the seller is and if it's to good to be true it probably is.

It looks like you tried every possible remedy with no success.