Question 3080Ti bringing me to desktop in middle of gaming ?

BJMDO

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
I have searched here as well as Google, and I have not been able to find anything. I recently installed a Gigabyte Vision 3080Ti. I can be in the middle of the a game or benchmark, and I will end up back on my desktop. The software still is running, and I can simply click the icon in taskbar to bring it back up. It does not appear that the software froze. I was running a 6800XT prior to this and never had this issue (yes, used DDU to install NVIDIA driver). I am still in the return period, and if I cannot find a solution it is going back as it is simply too expensive to fight with. Some of the software has been on the M.2 drive while other software is on another SSD. All of the temps have looked great when this occurs using Open Hardware Monitor. Thanks for any suggestions!

System:
Motherboard: X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU: AMD 5800X
GPU: Gigabyte Vision 3080 Ti
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 GM
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ (2x32GB)
Primary HDD: Samsung 980 Pro M.2

Perhaps this is the issue that was seen with the releases of the cards when the speeds got above 2 ghz?? I have tried MSI Afterburner to reduce the core clock, but it still happened.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have you messed with the power limit at all?

There have been some investigation of late into EVGA and Gigabyte cards where they go above and beyond the set power limit. IE if you set it to a max of 112% it can often reach 120+. Even setting it to 100% can see spikes in the low 100s. Basically the difference between 350W and 450W in some cases which might be running up against card limits.

Try setting the power limit to 99% and see what happens.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I thought that was a crash to desktop, interesting angle.

Maybe change your games from full screen to full screen windowed. I've had a lot of weird issues taken care of with that. Could just be another application grabbing focus away from the running application.

Perhaps this is the issue that was seen with the releases of the cards when the speeds got above 2 ghz?? I have tried MSI Afterburner to reduce the core clock, but it still happened.

It can be, it was one of the chief complaints when the 3080 was released. It was also said to affect the 3090.
There have been quite a number of complaints as well about the Gigabyte 3080 vision, without any clear solution yet

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...x-3080-reboots-on-high-end-games/?topicPage=8
https://linustechtips.com/topic/134...put-red-mobo-error-led-on-aorus-elite-ac-z490
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/kfe5ld/gigabyte_rtx_3080_vision_oc_10gb/

If no fix is viable, then it may be a hardware defect
I would try changing the display cables if you have spares around. Might not be an obvious solution, but worth a shot if nothing else works.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021
I was experiencing the same issue. Not with every game but games that were graphically intensive. Once I set my “Fan Speed Target” in the GeForce Panel (ALT Z) then performance from “Automatic” to Manual… I raised the fan speed to 75% and I was able to run BF 2042 without issues. I played with the fan speed even more and figured out a nice medium between cooking efficiency and sound of the fans. I have a 3080ti FE btw.

Nov 15, 2021
I was experiencing the same issue. Not with every game but games that were graphically intensive. Once I set my “Fan Speed Target” in the GeForce Panel (ALT Z) then performance from “Automatic” to Manual… I raised the fan speed to 75% and I was able to run BF 2042 without issues. I played with the fan speed even more and figured out a nice medium between cooking efficiency and sound of the fans. I have a 3080ti FE btw.
Cooling efficiency**