[SOLVED] 3080ti psu

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
hi i will be upgrading my gpu in the next few days with asus rog strix 3080ti now i already have seasonic focus gx 850w psu will it be enough ?
keep in mind that i have amd 5600x ,32gb of ram at 3600 mhz and 2 mechanical hds
also i found out that this psu is a high tier one according to here psu tier list
and what happens if i upgraded my cpu to 5800x 3d? will it be enough ?
i know it's low end cpu to pair with this gpu but the card is a gift

Solution
ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) is the mb it's good one , so even if i by some magical way found someone who tested that specific card with this mb and psu it's still not enough ?
The point is, its not easily replicable. To replicate you might have to run the same hardware with same game, updates, drivers, peripherals, other installed programs, etc. Thats a hell lot of variables to replicate, and even then it might happen to him but not to you or vice versa. So, even if by some magical way you find someone with same hardware, that doesn't guarantee anything.
On paper it should definitely be good enough for your 3080Ti, at minimum a 750W is recommended - but if you do happen to have random shutdowns during high intense usage then it's possibly due to the 3080Ti's power spike. It was an issue during the first few months of the 3000 GPU series launch, and while it isn't much of an issue these days it's still something to make note of. If you do happen to require another PSU, a 1000W PSU will definitely be able to handle it no question there, but as for now you're fine with what you have.

Reactions: Jacks.

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
On paper it should definitely be good enough for your 3080Ti, at minimum a 750W is recommended - but if you do happen to have random shutdowns during high intense usage then it's possibly due to the 3080Ti's power spike. It was an issue during the first few months of the 3000 GPU series launch, and while it isn't much of an issue these days it's still something to make note of. If you do happen to require another PSU, a 1000W PSU will definitely be able to handle it no question there, but as for now you're fine with what you have.
ok but when do these spikes happen and why? and will it matters if the res is 1440p ?

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
Thats not how it works. This video should give you a better understanding...
ok i have seen the video and i understand now top tier power supply should handle spikes but that doesn't mean it will if it doesn't have enough headroom of watts but this doesn't explains why i saw people with 750w and 3090 don't have any issues cause again it's not just gpu related according to the video mb too are a factor in this also the gpu manufacture this gives me a headache ,no idea about what to do there are many factors to consider i guess i'm better off the card -at least til someone could pinpoint the exact problem and fix it-but then again i haven't bought a gpu-mind you it's a gift- since 760 which i have now and i'm really looking forward to use my new G7 2k monitor
EDIT: i think one solution is to find someone who tested that specific card asus rog strix 3080ti and then just deciding what to do
please correct me if i'm wrong

Last edited:
ok i have seen the video and i understand now top tier power supply should handle spikes but that doesn't mean it will if it doesn't have enough headroom of watts but this doesn't explains why i saw people with 750w and 3090 don't have any issues cause again it's not just gpu related according to the video mb too are a factor in this also the gpu manufacture this gives me a headache ,no idea about what to do there are many factors to consider i guess i'm better off the card -at least til someone could pinpoint the exact problem and fix it-but then again i haven't bought a gpu-mind you it's a gift- since 760 which i have now and i'm really looking forward to use my new G7 2k monitor
EDIT: i think one solution is to find someone who tested that specific card asus rog strix 3080ti and then just deciding what to do
please correct me if i'm wrong
The three important variables in this equation are PSU quality, GPU power design and motherboard quality (which is the least significant, because the GPU power design embedded in the PCB handles most of the power delivery). The motherboard's role is to provide some limited support for throughput structure, where the high quality boards excel due to better VRM modules which can handle the load on the CPUs during those transient spikes.
People with good quality boards, cards and PSUs should not be going through these issues, even if its a 3090/750w combo. There is no single fix to this as the video shows how its more complicated than a single source of anomaly. The easiest fix is perhaps an even higher wattage quality unit. But, then again it depends on the other variables being below par. Asus as a brand uses good quality capacitors, or atleast that is what I have found...
https://videocardz.com/newz/manufacturers-respond-to-geforce-rtx-3080-3090-crash-to-desktop-issues

ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) is the mb it's good one , so even if i by some magical way found someone who tested that specific card with this mb and psu it's still not enough ?
The point is, its not easily replicable. To replicate you might have to run the same hardware with same game, updates, drivers, peripherals, other installed programs, etc. Thats a hell lot of variables to replicate, and even then it might happen to him but not to you or vice versa. So, even if by some magical way you find someone with same hardware, that doesn't guarantee anything.

Solution