[SOLVED] 3090 and crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2020
Hello, I've been having issues with my 3090 and constant crashing while playing games.

For a while, I just thought it was the games that I was playing, but after almost EVERY game that I play crashes to desktop, I'm wondering if it's my GPU?

I know that when these things launched, people were complaining about crashing, but I was under the impression that that problem was fixed. I bought mine in February and it has the latest bios version installed so I don't think that's what it is.

It seems that lowering settings helps quite a bit but I mean c'mon... I didn't buy a 3090 to play with settings lowered...

Here are my system specs:

CPU: i9-9900k (overclocked to 5.0 ghz)
Motherboard: ASUS Strix z390 e-gaming
RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws
GPU: EVGA FTW3 3090 Ultra
PSU: Corsair RM 850x

Solution
RTX3090 have a few flaws.

The use of all POSCAPs on the rear of the card, behind the CPU. This was the early finding of common crashes and what the vBIOS updates were to fix. FTW3 has a mix of POSCAPs and MLCC. Solution there is to lower the clock speeds on the GPU a little.

Extreme power spikes that trigger OCP, particularly on Corsair RM850x. This should lead to a system reboot though, so you might not have this issue.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=201374

Memory overheating. Memory on the back of the card can get overly warm, something to check.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RTX3090 have a few flaws.

The use of all POSCAPs on the rear of the card, behind the CPU. This was the early finding of common crashes and what the vBIOS updates were to fix. FTW3 has a mix of POSCAPs and MLCC. Solution there is to lower the clock speeds on the GPU a little.

Extreme power spikes that trigger OCP, particularly on Corsair RM850x. This should lead to a system reboot though, so you might not have this issue.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=201374

Memory overheating. Memory on the back of the card can get overly warm, something to check.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I thought Nvidia driver hotfixed that because the cards' boost clocks were too aggressive?
Then again, the quality of the components on the FE PCB is reportedly to be higher quality than a number of partner models...

Running the latest driver?

Jun 12, 2020
I thought Nvidia driver hotfixed that because the cards' boost clocks were too aggressive?
Then again, the quality of the components on the FE PCB is reportedly to be higher quality than a number of partner models...

Running the latest driver?
Yep my drivers are always up to date.

Unless it's not my GPU? I just figure that it is because lowering graphics settings seems to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.