[SOLVED] 3090 Compatable with older systems?

Iso4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
I built my PC about 3-4 years ago and it's currently running a 1080. I have a power supply that can handle the 3090 and I think it will fit in my case.

I've never upgraded a gpu before, so I'm not sure if there are other compatability issues that could arise from sticking such an advanced card into an older system. I can get my exact specs later.

Generally speaking, what do I need to think about to find out if I can run the 3090?

Solution
I believe, that even later a 3090 will be a overkill for you. The 3080 will be the right card for you. I do have a 2080 super and using a WQHD-monitor and -resolution, and I am very curious, what the upcoming tests will show. May be, I change to a 3080, but there is no need for me ( only nice to have :)). The 3090 is by far too expensive, and for sure not double as fast as a 3080.

Your PSU is more than enough. But do not forget, both cards will be very thick and very long and therefore care must be taken, which case to buy/use.

3090 only would make sense for people playing in 4K-resolution( with or without ray-tracing) and additionally do have the fastest available CPUs (f.i. a 10900K).

Iso4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
what the system spec? include make and model of the psu

• Asus Prime Z270-A
  • i7-7700K
  • 16GB Ram (I'm thinking of upgrading this too)
  • Corsair HX 1200i w/ 1200W capacity
I know this hardware is not by any means going to be able to take full advantage of the 3090 or any other card in the 3k range. My thought was to upgrade my card first and build a better PC around it later, but if this is an incredibly stupid idea please tell me so I can save some money.

Last edited:

alexbirdie

Respectable
I believe, that even later a 3090 will be a overkill for you. The 3080 will be the right card for you. I do have a 2080 super and using a WQHD-monitor and -resolution, and I am very curious, what the upcoming tests will show. May be, I change to a 3080, but there is no need for me ( only nice to have :)). The 3090 is by far too expensive, and for sure not double as fast as a 3080.

Your PSU is more than enough. But do not forget, both cards will be very thick and very long and therefore care must be taken, which case to buy/use.

3090 only would make sense for people playing in 4K-resolution( with or without ray-tracing) and additionally do have the fastest available CPUs (f.i. a 10900K).

Solution