Question 3090 crashing

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
Specs:
Palit 3090
Corsair 1000 watt RMx

The PC was seemingly running fine until today when the GPU fans started spinning full speed (whilst booted into Windows) and there was no display. When I start the PC now, I do get display for about 20 seconds before the screen goes blank. If the boot process gets to Windows, the GPU fans start spinning full speed when it crashes. On any other screen (bios, loading), the screen just goes blank without the fans spinning.

I tried removing the GPU and using the onboard display which works fine.

What is the most likely issue and what should I do next?

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
Is the video card new under warranty?

Full system specs?

Can you try the card in a friends PC?

Unfortunately, the card is no longer under warranty. The motherboard is a z490 Asus Tuf; I tried switching the RAMs but that doesnt seem to help.

I don’t have access to another PC but I think that might be the next logical step.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
If it works fine without the GPU, one would lean toward the GPU being the issue (make sure your on latest drivers/bios). Also the power supply should be fine. (2nd likely issue).

Was this a used card? Maybe it was mined on a lot?

Any software changes?

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
If it works fine without the GPU, one would lean toward the GPU being the issue (make sure your on latest drivers/bios). Also the power supply should be fine. (2nd likely issue).

Was this a used card? Maybe it was mined on a lot?

Any software changes?

It was a used card which I bought in 2020 and I have used it extensively since without issue. It was unlikely to have been mined with since I bought it from a gamer.
I turned my PC on yesterday after almost three weeks—it booted fine. I left it on overnight for updates and backups and when I went back in the morning, the fans were full speed and the PC had crashed.
The PSU is quite old but I don’t see why it would suddenly cause issues—the GPU crashes 25-30 seconds after booting regardless of what is being displayed.
What baffles me is the difference in behaviour when crashing depending on whether or not Windows has booted.

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
What do you mean quite old? The RMX isn't that old I didn't think. Does it have a date?
I carried it over from my last build so I think around 2016

i have also noticed that the GPU has LEDs that change colors but when it crashes, the LED color also gets stuck.

Last edited:

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
I wrote to Palit who told me that I should try the card in another PC. If all else fails, then they will be happy to sell replacement parts if I can identify which parts need to be replaced.