Question 3090 Display Going Out??

Aug 17, 2022
I’m stumped on the issue I’m having…

I have a 3090 Aorus Xtreme that seems to still be “functional”.

But after a few minutes of idle or web browsing at the most my display goes dark and remains unresponsive.

The only way I can get my display back is completely shutting off power and unplugging PSU for a couple hours, and maybe it will boot up okay. Sometimes I have to install an old 1080ti or run integrated graphics to get my rig to “reset” in order for the 3090 to display.

3090 fans, leds, etc all seem normal. Just no display.

This all started happening after my pc went to sleep a couple weeks ago and when I returned I was not able to wake it up.

Had to remove 3090 and go with 1080ti for some time.

I’m running a DP cable to 2k@165hz. DDU was ran to reset. Drivers are up to date. MOBO bios is up to date.

Thanks for the help!

I’m stumped on the issue I’m having…

I have a 3090 Aorus Xtreme that seems to still be “functional”.

But after a few minutes of idle or web browsing at the most my display goes dark and remains unresponsive.

The only way I can get my display back is completely shutting off power and unplugging PSU for a couple hours, and maybe it will boot up okay. Sometimes I have to install an old 1080ti or run integrated graphics to get my rig to “reset” in order for the 3090 to display.

3090 fans, leds, etc all seem normal. Just no display.

This all started happening after my pc went to sleep a couple weeks ago and when I returned I was not able to wake it up.

Had to remove 3090 and go with 1080ti for some time.

I’m running a DP cable to 2k@165hz. DDU was ran to reset. Drivers are up to date. MOBO bios is up to date.

Thanks for the help!
Psu inst strong enough

Aug 17, 2022
Update: Overnight I left the 3090 uninstalled. Woke up this morning and booted with iGPU display. All functioning as normal..
Reinstalled 3090. Booted. Functioned until I attempted to reinstall latest nvidia driver. Display went out again and about 30 seconds later fans went 100% and the 3090 got hot/was hot when I shutdown and took it back out.

Aug 17, 2022
Update: There is a random loose PCB square inside the GPU. Stuck between the heatsink and outer shell. I can't see any markings on it other than "D33006 RoHS" and a serial number I can't make out... This card was a replacement from a previous RMA. It looks like its connected to the rest of the gpu somehow.

Them-internets

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2014
Are you using the lastest 516.94 drivers? I seem to have issues witht it.

My screen goes black, fans ramp up. PC doesnt crash, audio works normally, the game runs normally. Its all just black and the fans go boom.

I went back to 516.59 now, still testing to see if the problem persists.

Aug 17, 2022
So I tried it in my wife’s PC. I have an AMD 6800 running in her rig. So when I installed the 3090 all went well for a long period of time. All the way up til I installed 516.94 driver. 3/4 of the way into the install. Screen goes black. No display and force restart does not bring it back. VGA light on the MOBO also stays on.. just like in my PC.

I’m going to unistall my 1080ti. DDU unistall nvidia driver. Install 3090 and reinstall a driver from a couple months ago and try that.

Reactions: white.a.drew
So I tried it in my wife’s PC. I have an AMD 6800 running in her rig. So when I installed the 3090 all went well for a long period of time. All the way up til I installed 516.94 driver. 3/4 of the way into the install. Screen goes black. No display and force restart does not bring it back. VGA light on the MOBO also stays on.. just like in my PC.

I’m going to unistall my 1080ti. DDU unistall nvidia driver. Install 3090 and reinstall a driver from a couple months ago and try that.
Sounds like you found the issue hopefully