[SOLVED] 3090 eGPU worse than 3070 Max Q

Oct 30, 2021
I have an OMEN 15 with a 10750H, 3070 Max Q, 32gb 2933 cl17 2rx8 with TB3. windows 10 and 11 have the same issue.

I know it can work with ePGUs since HP made an OMEN eGPU a while back, and the fact it comes up and give me video out. But even with 50 to 60% CPU usage, I cant get more than 40ish% GPU usage with the 3090 Gaming Box RDR2 gets like 60FPS with everything on medium and high, then 10FPS with Ultra. Forza Horizon 4 is just as bad.

Now it did die the second i had it, but I was able to send it out to Gigabyte and they fixed it and returned it in a couple weeks (GOT IT BACK 2 WEEEKS AGO), they got it it working and is till just fine. The only issue is Im getting worse performance with the 3090 and external display than the 3070 with the laptop display. Had the same issue b4 it died. Bought a better TB4 cable since the included TB3 cable flopped around in the laptops port, still the same performance.

but as of this morning a Windows update us bumped up CPU usage to 80% and the temps are 10 to 20c higher, around 80C with max fan speed.

Should I send it back to GIGABYTE again and tell them its still bad? I dont have another laptop to try on and my Desktop doesnt have TB to try on threre, if that even possible. Or maybe just take the card and put it in my desktop to eliminate that as the cause? Or get another enclosure and try that out?

Solution
If you are able to, definitely isolate issues. As you suggested, put the 3090 into your fully functional desktop, and see if the issues follow it. You can also (I assume) put the desktop GPU into the external enclosure for the laptop, and see if the working GPU now starts having issues. Also make sure that the issue is gone when the enclosure is disconnected, and the laptop works properly without the external GPU.
If you are able to, definitely isolate issues. As you suggested, put the 3090 into your fully functional desktop, and see if the issues follow it. You can also (I assume) put the desktop GPU into the external enclosure for the laptop, and see if the working GPU now starts having issues. Also make sure that the issue is gone when the enclosure is disconnected, and the laptop works properly without the external GPU.

Reactions: McflyOrDie
Solution
Oct 30, 2021

Yeah everything is fine with the Laptop when the gaming box isnt connected. Ill get on to checking out the card and the board to see if its either of them.