Question (3090)FPS Drops/Stutters in All Games After Upgrading CPU/Ram/MOBO

May 17, 2021
Hello,

I have recently upgraded my CPU, RAM, and Motherboard. Since upgrading I've been getting FPS drops (20-30 FPS) in every game except Warzone. This includes games like League of Legends, Rainbow 6 Siege, and Valorant. I upgraded my CPU to Ryzen 5900X, MOBO to Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and RAM to Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600mhz 64GB. My current and old full system specs will be listed below. Before I didn't have any issues with my FPS. I've tried almost everything from clean installations of windows, checking if there are any anomalies in CPU and GPU clock speeds, power, and temperature, reinstalling drivers, trying out different drives and nothing seems to work. I've searched all over the internet for the past 2 weeks and can't find a solution. If anyone has any feedback or support I would greatly appreciate it!

CURRENT Setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5900X (Asus ROG RYUJIN 360 Liquid AIO Cooling)
GPU: RTX 3090
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600mhz 64GB
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
PSU: Asus Rog Strix 850W
Drives: Western Digital Black SN750 500 GB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2T
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB(Boot Drive)
Seagate Barracuda 2T

OLD Setup:
CPU: Intel I7-9700K (Asus ROG RYUJIN 360 Liquid AIO Cooling)
GPU: RTX 3090
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 32GB
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z390F
PSU: Asus Rog Strix 850W
Drives: Western Digital Black SN750 500 GB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2T
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB(Boot Drive)
Seagate Barracuda 2T

WildCard999

Titan
Is DOCP enabled in the BIOS?

For Asus it should be BIOS > AI Tweaker > Overclock Tuner > D.O.C.P (possibly DOCP Standard) > then one line underneath it should have the memory at 3600mhz automatically but if not change it to 3600mhz then save and leave BIOS and try your games again.

I would clean boot windows 10 and see if you still have these performance issues without all the random junk you may have running in the background. Can download and install LatencyMon to see if there is anything causing undue latency.

*edit more questions

What are VRM temperatures? What are the temps on those memory chiplets on the 3090? Did you keep these games on the spare drives when you reinstalled windows 10? Have you tried disconnecting all drives except the OS drive and try the games on that after a fresh install?

May 17, 2021
Is DOCP enabled in the BIOS?

For Asus it should be BIOS > AI Tweaker > Overclock Tuner > D.O.C.P (possibly DOCP Standard) > then one line underneath it should have the memory at 3600mhz automatically but if not change it to 3600mhz then save and leave BIOS and try your games again.
I have done this as well.

May 17, 2021
I would clean boot windows 10 and see if you still have these performance issues without all the random junk you may have running in the background. Can download and install LatencyMon to see if there is anything causing undue latency.

*edit more questions

What are VRM temperatures? What are the temps on those memory chiplets on the 3090? Did you keep these games on the spare drives when you reinstalled windows 10? Have you tried disconnecting all drives except the OS drive and try the games on that after a fresh install?
I ran LantencyMon while running a game of League of Legends and this was the result: View: https://imgur.com/68I0FzP
(hopefully you can view the image)
Also I've gotten a Qcode on the motherboard that reads: AA. After looking it up I found out this means "the system has transitioned into ACPI mode. Interupt controler is in APIC mode."

Edit
While running LatencyMon on idle without anything else running, the program says my "system appears to suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts"

Last edited:
May 17, 2021
When you reinstalled the graphics drivers did you use DDU to do so? If not use DDU to reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers. You are getting some latency related to the Nvidia driver.
I just did that now and still having the same issue. LatencyMon still showing the same results as well.

May 17, 2021
Did you see the other questions in my first post?
Sorry, I just noticed them now. What exactly do you mean by VRM and chiplets temperature? How can I monitor these (Hwinfo)?

Did you keep these games on the spare drives when you reinstalled windows 10? Yes I only formatted the boot drive and left my other drives with the games intact.

Have you tried disconnecting all drives except the OS drive and try the games on that after a fresh install? I haven't disconnected the other drives but I have reinstalled games on the OS drive and still having the same issue.

Sorry, I just noticed them now. What exactly do you mean by VRM and chiplets temperature? How can I monitor these (Hwinfo)?
In HWinfo under motherboard one or more of the listed temperatures will be the VRMs (Voltage Regulation Module). The Memory chips that the graphics card uses may be overheating because a 3090 has so many there are chips on both sides of the PCB. Under graphics card there should be memory temperatures somewhere.

May 17, 2021