[SOLVED] 3090 power spikes

Nov 27, 2020
Hi! I've read a lot about PSU troubles with the 3090, and I've got the regular issue with random reboots while gaming. I am however running a EVGA Supernova 1600W, is it really possible that the current spikes from the 3090 can knock out such a powerful power supply?

Solution
It's not the psu. If you pull enough to trip protections, you'd need to reset the psu by pulling the plug or hitting the switch. A psu is always On if its plugged in and the switch is 'l' whether the OS is active or not. So it won't reset until 'off'.

A CTD or Windows reset is almost always a driver conflict with something, and that can be anything from bios to the cpu.

There have been reports of AIB 3090's crashing in some titles due to 'dirty power' at extreme frequencies, dropping below 2000MHz seems to solve that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Might not be the power supply, though that would have to be tested. Set up monitoring on your voltages, could be dipping below 11.4 volts and tripping undervoltage.

Check your PCIe power cables, if you can run independent 8-pin connectors rather than ones that split into multiple, that is always ideal. Even if you have to leave a whole bunch of PCIe connectors dangling (until you can pick up some straight through cables)

Have you checked your outlet and line? Make sure nothing of significance is also on the circuit for one thing. Even check the temperatures of your cords. If they are getting warm, you could be seeing enough voltage drop to cause an undervolt condition on PSU input. Last resort would be a line conditioner/UPS if you aren't able to verify potential problems. That would prevent sags in the line or spikes from the GPU from bringing you down. A problem at my parents house many years ago was the AC kicking on, used to trip the UPS we had on the family PC (And made the CRT wobble while it was running)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the psu. If you pull enough to trip protections, you'd need to reset the psu by pulling the plug or hitting the switch. A psu is always On if its plugged in and the switch is 'l' whether the OS is active or not. So it won't reset until 'off'.

A CTD or Windows reset is almost always a driver conflict with something, and that can be anything from bios to the cpu.

There have been reports of AIB 3090's crashing in some titles due to 'dirty power' at extreme frequencies, dropping below 2000MHz seems to solve that.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS