Discussion 3090 stuttering in windowed mode.

Jul 5, 2023
Hello everyone, my 3090 keeps stuttering in games and usage is low 50-60%, i have been trouble shooting for days but nothing is working out.

things i tried:
I tried ddu and reinstalling the latest driver, Enabling re-bar, Setting power management mode to prefer maximum performance and setting low latency mode to ultra in the nvidia control panel, I also did a clean install of windows 11 recently but nothing is working.

At first i thought that i had bought a faulty used evga ftw3 3090 but as i was testing with msi kombustor i realized that if i run the stress test in windowed mode i would get severe stuttering and low usage (same performance while gaming) and if i ran in full screen mode the gpu runs at 99% with no stuttering and as soon as i hit the windows key to temporarily exit out of full screen while the test is still running the usage drops and stuttering is back again so i dont think my gpu is faulty and that its just some sort of driver issue , however during gaming i would get stuttering regardless of running in windowed or full screen. any help would be appreciated.

my specs:

MOBO : GIGABYTE AORUS ELITE Z690 DDR4

CPU : INTEL I9-12900K

CPU COOLER : GIGABYTE AORUS WATERFORCE X 360MM

GPU : EVGA FTW3 3090 IN A CUSTOM LOOP WITH 360MM RADIATOR

PSU : GIGABYTE 850W FULLY MODULAR GOLD

RAM : GIGABYTE AORUS DDR4 3700MH 32GB RGB (x4) 8 gigs

STORAGE : SAMSUNG 980 PRO NVME M.2 1TB

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023
I have solved it!! AT LEAST FOR ME

so what was causing all this was a process/software running in the back, To be specific it was the lian li
L-connect 3 software used to control my lian li fans.

while running the msi kombustor stress test in windowed mode ( with stuttering and low usage) I saw that
L-CONNECT was using 15% of my cpu in task manager and as soon as i ended the process my gpu usage in the kombuster stress test jumped all the way to 99% from 50% and just to make sure, i decided to reluanch
L-CONNECT 3 and as soon as it opened my gpu usage dropped to 50% and stuttering was back.

i will continue to test on my pc and make sure this doesnt come back.