[SOLVED] 3090 under performing warzone

Aug 3, 2021
Hello i have a 3090 and its only performing about 20% better than my 1080 i had... this cant be right.

Specs:
MB - asus rog max hero vii
Ram 32 gig dominator 3200hz cl 16
GPU asus rog 3090
CPU I9 10900k
Cpu AIO nzxt kraken z73
PSU 850W corsair

i have checked cpu and gpu are not thermal throttling
i have done a DDU clean install of drivers for my 3090
i use ISLC to dump avaliable memory cache when gaming
confirmed XMP enabled DRAM at 1699
CPU clock between 4990 -5100

IM SO CONFUSED.

Solution
Your FPS seem to be about right if you look for videos in youtube with your GPU, I remember that some time ago I read something about people complaining about new RTX cards because there was not much of a difference in 1080p performance compared to the old GTX 1080 ti.

It had something to do with the arquitecture, being optimized for heavy loads rather than 1080p gaming, but I would be lying to be honest.

View: https://youtu.be/5i9c8R0yObw

In that video you can see that using the lowest vs the highest settings won't make much of a difference even rendering internal resolution at 4k.

In conclusion, I would say there is a bottlenek either in the CPU or in the GPU arquitecture.

You can also check...

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Your FPS seem to be about right if you look for videos in youtube with your GPU, I remember that some time ago I read something about people complaining about new RTX cards because there was not much of a difference in 1080p performance compared to the old GTX 1080 ti.

It had something to do with the arquitecture, being optimized for heavy loads rather than 1080p gaming, but I would be lying to be honest.

View: https://youtu.be/5i9c8R0yObw

In that video you can see that using the lowest vs the highest settings won't make much of a difference even rendering internal resolution at 4k.

In conclusion, I would say there is a bottlenek either in the CPU or in the GPU arquitecture.

You can also check with MSI afterburner you gpu-cpu usage while playing with the graphical settings.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Support for this game's been slowly waning since Cold War came out.
-When installing Nvidia drivers, make sure the power plan in NVCP is set to either Adaptive or Max afterwards; it defaults to Optimal after the install.
-Assuming everything else is healthy, you appear to be cpu limited at that resolution and game settings. But it could also be the game engine, you definitely can't do a thing about that one.

Run userbenchmark. Close the browser, discord, or any monitoring apps before you run it.
When it's finished, post the URL to the results page, we'll then be able to see if anything sticks out.

Aug 3, 2021
-Support for this game's been slowly waning since Cold War came out.
-When installing Nvidia drivers, make sure the power plan in NVCP is set to either Adaptive or Max afterwards; it defaults to Optimal after the install.
-Assuming everything else is healthy, you appear to be cpu limited at that resolution and game settings. But it could also be the game engine, you definitely can't do a thing about that one.

Run userbenchmark. Close the browser, discord, or any monitoring apps before you run it.
When it's finished, post the URL to the results page, we'll then be able to see if anything sticks out.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45160744

shows missing gpu? very confused as the gpu is working..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
? I'm not seeing a missing gpu in the link.
What I'm seeing is that the gpu failed some portion of the graphics test - I mean, everything else has a score under 'Bench' except for it.

What's the exact model of this 850w Corsair? There are several of these, and quality is not equal among them.
Is ISLC reliable? It wouldn't be what caused the gpu to crash, would it? I'm not familiar with it, but I see it's from the same site as DDU...

Aug 3, 2021
What I'm seeing is that the gpu failed some portion of the graphics test - I mean, everything else has a score under 'Bench' except for it.

What's the exact model of this 850w Corsair? There are several of these, and quality is not equal among them.
Is ISLC reliable? It wouldn't be what caused the gpu to crash, would it? I'm not familiar with it, but I see it's from the same site as DDU...
Corsair HX850 - 850 a decent one as far as i can tell... fully modular
ISLC was disabled during the test

Aug 3, 2021

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45161455 it completed but below what it should....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's still within 10% of the average, so nothing's drastically wrong with it.

The gpu: how hot does the core and Vram get in game? You're going to need to use hwinfo to see Vram temperature(95C and below is good).
Gpu core clocks are tied to temperature and power use; lower temperatures, as well as bumping into the board power limit less often equates to higher and longer sustained boost clocks - to an extent, of course. The boost isn't limitless.
Also, Nvidia Control Panel power plan - you took it off Optimal power, right?

It's safe to assume the game is on one of the SSDs and not the HDD?

Aug 3, 2021

The gpu: how hot does the core and Vram get in game? You're going to need to use hwinfo to see Vram temperature(95C and below is good).
Gpu core clocks are tied to temperature and power use; lower temperatures, as well as bumping into the board power limit less often equates to higher and longer sustained boost clocks - to an extent, of course. The boost isn't limitless.

Hello mate - performance is on ultimate performance - windows
nvidea control panel max performance
GPU temps never get above 65
cpu temps never above 75

Cheers

Aug 3, 2021

Also yes the game is on the m.2

Aug 3, 2021
Vram temperature? [It's probably fine though...]

I figure it's the game at this point. Your hardware is fine.
Nothing above 75 including packages

I think i just figured it out. my cpu is not boosting.
i just ran a unigine heaven benchmark and my cpu never got above 4.9 when its boost is 5.3

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, it's boosting alright...
5.3ghz is the turbo when only a single core is active, plus Thermal Velocity Boost(active at 70C and below).
You'll hardly ever see this when even the OS uses more than one core.

4.9ghz is this cpu's all core turbo + TVB.

For some time now, Intel's advertised single core turbos have been gimmicks. 4.9 - 5.1ghz is this cpu's practical turbo boost range. If I remember correctly, at 4-6 cores active, the boost is 5.0ghz.

Nothing above 75 including packages

I think i just figured it out. my cpu is not boosting.
i just ran a unigine heaven benchmark and my cpu never got above 4.9 when its boost is 5.3

If you have the CPU cooling to handle it (and motherboard VRMs for that matter), you can overclock your 10900k to boost more heavily on all cores; doing so might unlock some more fps on the top end.

As an example, my i7-9700k is officially rated for 4.9 GHz on 1 core and 4.6 GHz on all cores, but I've overclocked it to run at 5.1 GHz on all cores, no AVX offset necessary either(!) Keep in mind your CPU might not overclock as much, my 9700k seems exeptionally good.

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Hello i have a 3090 and its only performing about 20% better than my 1080 i had... this cant be right.

Specs:
MB - asus rog max hero vii
Ram 32 gig dominator 3200hz cl 16
GPU asus rog 3090
CPU I9 10900k
Cpu AIO nzxt kraken z73
PSU 850W corsair

i have checked cpu and gpu are not thermal throttling
i have done a DDU clean install of drivers for my 3090
i use ISLC to dump avaliable memory cache when gaming
confirmed XMP enabled DRAM at 1699
CPU clock between 4990 -5100

IM SO CONFUSED.
I would suggest trying to play the game at higher settings, my 3070 performs ALOT better at a higher setting, that way it will be pushing your GPU more then your CPU. Also are you using a monitor that would take advantage of 130+? Another test is changing the res to 1440p and seeing if you get better performance.

Reactions: RodroX
Its about right. It will be compared to a lot of overclocked gpu's
THIS.

I'm actually testing an RTX 3080 that I may or may not keep. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45163659
I've been a proponent of Userbenchmark for a quick and easy diagnostics tool but man, they really 'screw the pooch' when it comes to comparative performance analysis. With just a tiny bit of power bump my card goes from the 44th relative performance percentage to 67 percent. The problem is that there's so many cards crowded around just a few percentage points that it warps the performance curve drastically.

Anywho, it does seem odd that your card isn't finishing 3 out of 4 Userbenchmark tests. Have you been watching your clocks while gaming? Run HWiNFO64 in the background (sensors only, logging on) while you game for at least 30 mins then go through the logs to see if anything is amiss.

larsv8

Distinguished
A 3090 is not a 1080p card....specifically at low and medium settings.

What has likely happened is when you changed your GPU, you jumped up to the CPU bottleneck and that is where you are.

If you want to play at low settings at 1080p, sell your 3090 and buy a 3060ti and a really good CPU like a 5900x or similar.