[SOLVED] 3090ti SUPRIM with a performance of my old 1080ti ?! How to fix?

Sep 2, 2022
I don't know why, but I am having pretty low FPS despite this card should be a top notch one. I have bought it just few days ago.

Before anybody starts with something like "GPUs don't add FPS, you have junk in PC or viruses", let me mention that I have found plenty of other people, benchmark videos or topics about people who have the same HW as I do, but have about 2x more fps than myself with the same GPU.

For example this one, with Far Cry 5 in this case: FPS of some other guy .
I used the same quality settings for my comparison in that game. The guy has about 110 fps on 4K, while I am having about 90-105 fps, but on 1080p! I have even a better GPU than the guy has - I have 3090ti SUPRIM while he has just "plain" 3090. We both have the very same CPU (i9-10900K) and the very same amount/type of RAM (DDR4 32 GB). I have much better PSU with 1300W (platinum 80+) so the power can't be my problem either. Overheating is also NOT a thing as the card is being used just for about 35-45% of its usage, the temperatures are fairly low. The only main possible difference between me and him is the motherboard - the guy in the video has obviously a better one, I have this one: my motherboard.

Could it be because my motherboard supports only up to PCI Express 3.0? Do I need 4.0 or higher with this card like the guy from the video has?

Because software-wise I tried really everything I could think of - I tried to clean reinstall the newest GPU drivers (+using the tool and steps from here clean GPU driver reinstall). I even installed a new fresh Windows to test it all in it, so I was able to be sure that the system is clean of any registry junk etc. or viruses or old GPU drivers reinstalls. On that fresh Windows 10 (x64) I installed just the drivers, main programs like Steam and all the required stuff for the games like directX etc. Didn't work, so then I installed all the Windows 10 updates and more. Nothing helped either. All done on a very fast M.2 SSD. Afterwards I also tried install OS on HDD and do the same just for the sake of it... no luck with anything.

Am I missing something? Or the motherboard's PCI Express version is not enough? Or is the GPU broken?! Because currently it has really about the same FPS performance like my old 1080ti had, which was replaced with this card. And it is like that both game-wise and video-encoding-wise when it comes to HW acceleration.

Any insight into the problem is highly appretiated!

My specs in short:
Motherboard: TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
GPU: MSI 3090ti SUPRIM
RAM: HyperX 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 Predator (1x32GB)
System drive: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB (NVMe M.2)
PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300 W Platinum

My FPS: 85-110 on 1080p
The guy's FPS: 90-115 on 4K

Last edited:
Solution
Single DIMM is a big part of the issue. CPU thermal throttling good possibility as well, especially on 10th gen Intel processors, they are power hungry. To your PCI question yes it will have some impact, but not likely more than a couple of percent, and certainly not at 1080. I would throw at least a two stick kit in. I have seen a number of semi boutique builds that slipped in a single stick (for price) upgraded to two stick kits with massive fps increases. This is more apparent on Ryzen with the infinity fabric but cutting your memory bandwidth by half by only using one stick is never good. Just make sure to get something on your QVL list for your ASUS board. Also make sure to slot them correctly. Read the motherboard manual.

4745454b

Titan
Overheating is also NOT a thing as the card is being used just for about 35-45% of its usage,

Overheating can very much be the reason. Not the GPU as much as the CPU. If the CPU has to throttle down to cool itself, it can lower the frame rates.

Double check everything. Temps and voltages good? CPU, GPU, RAM running at the speeds they should? All forms of Sync and super/over rendering off? I'm also not a fan of youtube vids. People claim all kinds of stuff online. Test your system against real reviews from real websites. I'm obviously partial to Toms hardware and our sister site Anandtech.

Reactions: Supertroop1501

jasonf2

Distinguished
Single DIMM is a big part of the issue. CPU thermal throttling good possibility as well, especially on 10th gen Intel processors, they are power hungry. To your PCI question yes it will have some impact, but not likely more than a couple of percent, and certainly not at 1080. I would throw at least a two stick kit in. I have seen a number of semi boutique builds that slipped in a single stick (for price) upgraded to two stick kits with massive fps increases. This is more apparent on Ryzen with the infinity fabric but cutting your memory bandwidth by half by only using one stick is never good. Just make sure to get something on your QVL list for your ASUS board. Also make sure to slot them correctly. Read the motherboard manual.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 2, 2022
Thank you all for the very informative answers!
As I said before, the CPU temperatures are good, so it is not due any CPU overheating. I knew that this perticular CPU can have that problem when I was buying it, so with it I bought one of the the best cooler possible for it alongside with well-cooled PC case - they successfully keep the temperatures away from any kind of critical ones (around or under 75°C).

About RAM however - I didn't think about that one at all honestly! I'll try to buy some kit then. What would be the best for the performance - should I buy 2x16GB or 4x8GB?

I have 4 slots so if you mean that the more the better, I will try to buy some 4x kit for quad-channel configuration. I will check if my CPU and motherboard supports it and which ones, and I will definitelly buy.

You probably saved me a lot of money because I was so desperate, that I was ready to buy new MB, CPU, CPU cooler and also RAM (again I was looking at just 1x32!).... basically a whole new PC where I would likely have the same problem due the 1x32 RAM despite DDR5 or PCI 5.0 I was about to get.

Thanks again!, I will give you an update later.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022
I have found this about my motherboard's RAM support:
Design
Memory type
Number of RAM slots

Connection Mode
Max. frequency (OC)
DIMM
DDR4
4 ×
dual-channel
4,800 MHz

And this about my CPU's RAM support:
Supported memory type
Maximum number of channels
DDR4
2 ×

Does "dual-channel" mean that I better have to buy 2x16 instead of 4x8? Or will it work well anyway, just as 2 dual channel sets if it was 4x8?

If 4x8 would be good as 2 dual channels, I guess I am looking to buy this one:
Corsair 32 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL Black 4x8GB (link)

If I needed 2x16 or if it wouldn't make any difference to the above due the dual-channel limitation, then I am probably looking at this one:
Kingston FURY 32 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 Renegade RGB 2x16GB (link)

Which one of these two would you recommend me more? (for the best gaming performance boost)

If you would have some other/better one in mind, I am open to suggestions within price of 250 €/$ as my top limit and at least 32GB of RAM.

Last edited:

alexbirdie

Respectable
I would prefer 2x16 GB. The faster, the better.
f.i.:

G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-16-16-36
F4-3600C16D-32GTZN

or quite better ( and more expensive):

G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL14-14-14-34
F4-3600C14D-32GTZNA

But I know, the above are expensive, and it depends on your budget.

Sep 2, 2022
I would prefer 2x16 GB. The faster, the better.
f.i.:

G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-16-16-36
F4-3600C16D-32GTZN

or quite better ( and more expensive):

G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL14-14-14-34
F4-3600C14D-32GTZNA

But I know, the above are expensive, and it depends on your budget.

Found it in my shop here, however...
It says they are best suited for Ryzen CPUs. I have Intel i9-10900K - are you sure it will work well?

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
If you haven't done it please go to ASUS website and look up your motherboard. Under support it will have a QVL download. This is the Qualified Vendor List. Inside of that file it will have compatible RAM part numbers for your CPU and motherboard combination at listed clocks. You can buy anything you like, but if it isn't on this list there is a pretty good chance you are wasting your money on something that won't be stable. It is a matter of experience and opinion but under no circumstances rely on some crappy online system compatibility checker. RAM today is a fickle match because almost everything sold is done with an advertised overclock and not ran at SPD. If you want to run at stock clocks almost anything will work. If you want to actually get the performance expected pick from the QVL.

Sep 2, 2022
If you haven't done it please go to ASUS website and look up your motherboard. Under support it will have a QVL download. This is the Qualified Vendor List. Inside of that file it will have compatible RAM part numbers for your CPU and motherboard combination at listed clocks. You can buy anything you like, but if it isn't on this list there is a pretty good chance you are wasting your money on something that won't be stable. It is a matter of experience and opinion but under no circumstances rely on some crappy online system compatibility checker. RAM today is a fickle match because almost everything sold is done with an advertised overclock and not ran at SPD. If you want to run at stock clocks almost anything will work. If you want to actually get the performance expected pick from the QVL.
Honestly I have been trying to find the official QVL but I didn't find it anywhere.

Everywhevere I looked there is just a text like "Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list ". But where the heck it is on that site exactly, nobody cares to share :( .

jasonf2

Distinguished
Honestly I have been trying to find the official QVL but I didn't find it anywhere.

Everywhevere I looked there is just a text like "Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list ". But where the heck it is on that site exactly, nobody cares to share :( .

Follow that link, it is bound to your motherboards qvl

Sep 2, 2022

Follow that link, it is bound to your motherboards qvl

Thanks, as I said above, I already found it myself after few attempts, the RAM is already ordered as well.
But the effort counts ;) .

Sep 2, 2022
Seems like nobody asked before: is that 3090 bought new or used? Could make a big difference ...
It is a brand new card bought from here: Alza

Another question: if FarCry at 1080 gives you about 100 FPS, what you get at 4K?
Good question - I don't have a 4K monitor so I can't make a clean test of that (I have 1920x1200p in 16:10 and I was doing tests on 1080p in-game resolution).

However, I tried at least to scale the resolution up via the "Resolution scale" in-game setting to 2x (which I guess is an equivalent of 4K in the end, but I am not sure if it is really the same in terms of performance draw) - with that upscaled res, in the benchmark my average fps was lower just by about 10 frames which I didn't understand at all (so it was ~85fps).

I am hoping to reach these numbers >>here<< as they are using my CPU there. But even my max fps per session is not reaching near those numbers in the graph, not even on the lowest settings. I reach the ~215 fps on the LOWEST settings only and only if I look into the skies at the same time, while I should have that kind of fps on the ULTRA quality or at least close to it since they used just 3090 in their test... and not just by looking into the skies since they are showing "average performance" of their tests.
ultra

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022
I have to add that I am very well aware that 100 or 200 fps doesn't make any visual difference and it is far beyond enough, but I am trying to make sure that the GPU is allright and that it is able to use its full capacity as I know it, as it costed me a heavy bag of money there. And via fps in game and video encoding it is the easiest and most accurate way to compare if I find tests with the same HW as I have - when the same or worse HW has much better FPS than me in the same game, then I guess there must be a problem somewhere.

Anyways, after the info the guys above gave me, I really hope that the problem is my current 1x32GB RAM. I will see on Tuesday when the new (2x16GB) RAM arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexbirdie

alexbirdie

Respectable
Anyways, after the info the guys above gave me, I really hope that the problem is my current 1x32GB RAM. I will see on Tuesday when the new (2x16GB) RAM arrives.

Good luck to you.

If the result is not as expected, than investigations need to be continued. But hopefully not. I am looking forward to your next posts after testing the new ram-sticks.

Sep 2, 2022
Set it to 4x instead and see what you got.
I'm not great fan of GPUcheck.com benchmarks personally. They look unreliable to me.
I can't - 2x is the top I can set there. There is nothing higher to select from - only from 1x to 2x when it comes to this kind of upscaling there.
But why would I need 4x anyway? 2x 1920*1080 = 3840x2160, doesn't it?

About the GPUcheck's trustworthyness - I am always using multiple test/benchmarks sources and comparing them. If most or all of them show the same, then again - problem must exist somewhere on my side. Especially if I see the high fps right in the somebody's video in the MSI Afterburner's overlay there and especially when most of people are even showing the settings they are using in a game's menu. Far Cry 5 is not the only game I was comparing my results to (Far Cry Primal, RDR2, AC Origins, AC Oddysey, Hitman or multiplayer games like Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum), but for keeping it simple here I chose just that 1 game.

Good luck to you.

If the result is not as expected, than investigations need to be continued. But hopefully not. I am looking forward to your next posts after testing the new ram-sticks.
Thanks and yeah definitelly.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022
Nope. It is not called 4K without reason. It is 1920x2 x 1080x2 = 3849x2160 making x4 total. Of course particular game menus may have it different in mind so actually this x2 it may be equivalent to 4K, only game developer knows.
Hmmm.... I knew that 4K can fit 4 1080p screens, but I misinterpreted how the resolution scale setting works. Good to know, thanks for the info. I guess I am unable to test any kind of 4K resolution then as I have 3 screens but 2 of them are 1080p and one is 1200p.