Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan
Stay away.

No more "real" than one of these:

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Now I'm all curious about what it costs to make these, how long it takes to create and package each one, how many people are involved, and how many they have made... and how many they have sold.

I've had a few friends who nearly fell for similar storage scams. Luckily, they know that I'm "the computer geek", so they ask me about it first. For people who are just casual users that don't know everything that's under the hood, or don't follow tech news and prices everyday, I can see how they could easily be conned.

USAFRet

Titan
Now I'm all curious about what it costs to make these, how long it takes to create and package each one, how many people are involved, and how many they have made... and how many they have sold.

I've had a few friends who nearly fell for similar storage scams. Luckily, they know that I'm "the computer geek", so they ask me about it first. For people who are just casual users that don't know everything that's under the hood, or don't follow tech news and prices everyday, I can see how they could easily be conned.
Pennies to create.
At most, $1.

Buy in bulk, couple of thousand cast off barely working flash drive innards.
Your Chinese factory assembly line worker slaps them together on the line, dozens per hour per person.
Stick them in a large USB hub to be reflashed....
In a box, done.

So...
$1 for the materials.
$1 for the assembly.
$1 for the shipping.

Sell for $25 to the clueless.

Profit!

You see these advertised all over.
Facebook, Amazon, ebay...

We've had more than a couple of people here that bought one of these, insisting there is XXTB actual drive space in there and wondering how to enable it.
There is not.

USAFRet

Titan
I would never hook this thing up to my computer hacked Chinese firmware sounds fun.
Yet people do...

Aaron44126

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Shouldn't someone be criminally liable for selling these? False advertising? Counterfeiting? I mean, you can open one up and see that it just contains a pair of 512MB microSD cards. It's one thing to get one from some shady site, or eBay, but here they are showing up at big-name retailers. Does Walmart just ignore responsibility for products that they are listing on their site that ship from third-party sellers?

Reactions: bigdragon

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Shouldn't someone be criminally liable for selling these? False advertising? Counterfeiting? I mean, you can open one up and see that it just contains a pair of 512MB microSD cards. It's one thing to get one from some shady site, or eBay, but here they are showing up at big-name retailers. Does Walmart just ignore responsibility for products that they are listing on their site that ship from third-party sellers?
Who wants to send an FBI team to China to investigate some sweat shops for selling fake products for $ 20 - $30 that costs them around $5 to produce? ¯\(ツ)
And as far as the retailers like Wallmart go, they can simply blame it onto the supplier and provide refund if/when asked.

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Shollywood

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Most likely it's Wal-Mart the will receive the brunt of this damage here. Most likely they had a buyer that was fooled by a super-cheap price. It's possible that the first few hundred units sold and evaluated actually worked. They probably shipped a bunch of 'bricks' to Wal-Mart and got paid for them before customers started complaining.

SethNW

Reputable
Jul 27, 2019
Never fall for too good to be true scams. These are very common. With drives or even memory cards that advertise huge sizes, but in reality are more like 32MB memory card or maybe bit bigger USB drive, i n both cases factory QA rejects that didn't meet the standard with hacked controller to show bigger size. And once they run out of space just keep overwriting existing space. So they make them really cheap. Also they can potentially come with malware.

Also similarly common is graphic card scam, where you get what is supposed to be newest card for cheap, but is actually old card with hacked VBIOS, so it shows a newer. Like GTX960 showing as whatever card.

Also similar is true gor fake phones. Doesn't matter which spec it shows, reality can be completely different. On those people even found hidden app that allows you to set basically any spec and it will show in Android. Be it SOC, memory, screen resolution,... you would think it would break something, but nope, it can be edited to show wrong value. Also they always have 1 real and few fake cameras.

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Scammers and crooks too focused on making a dishonest buck really lack imagination.

In their shoes, I would make a 666 PetaBytes and 2.718 ExaBytes and 3.14 ZettaBytes portable USB drives specifying they are FAKE, legal and honest for entertainment purpose and/or psychological support.

Entertainment: make a joke on someone by offering one, just showing off in front of candid people, sending "true" screenshots to friends with astronomical disk free space.

Psychological support: I remember a medical TV documentary showing a placebo study with people taking placebo medication KNOWING it was placebo but still getting better simply thanks to the routine of taking it everyday. I guess it does not work for everybody, but statistically it worked. In the case of these giant disks, it would be showing off to oneself.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
The marketplace operator should be liable for false advertising and fraud by third-party sellers who have no assets to leverage liabilities on in the countries their crap is being sold in. That would eliminate most of the foreign seller fraud.

I couldn't agree more. I've got bum (faked capacity) sd cards, thumb drives, etc and I was avoiding the cheap, clearly scam sales that litter walmart/amazon by 3rd party sellers. So I am all for punishing sites who enable this neferious behavior. Saving 5 bucks or so shouldn't have you sweating the legitemacy of hardware you buy. When you see 16/30TB drive for under a couple hundred dollars, you almost deserve to be fleeced but these bum drives permiate the market top to bottom (usually but not always 3rd party sales). And while I have always got a refund when this has happened (at least 3 times in 6 years or so), it shouldn't be a thing to begin with. Plus more times than not despite my request to pull the bogus postings only one time did they (amazon) actually do so. Holding the 1st party legally liable would be a huge step in fixing these scams.

Reactions: bigdragon
Aug 28, 2022
Yes I have 4 drives two 15TB thumb drives and two of these 30TB drives in this article and after my transfer of 7TB onto drives all files were corrupt, sorry my bad, I was tricked, they are trash and I am out about 200 dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS