Question 32" + 2 24" monitors

Redline090

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
This may sound ridiculous but I am wondering if using one 32" 1080p 144hz monitor as a center with two 24" 1080p 144hz monitors as the outside would work? Reason why I would want this set up is because I play a truck sim and also some shooter games. The trick sim I would use all three monitors at once and the shooters I would just use the middle. I'm sure having all three working in game would be a lot of stress on my GPU but I have a 2080ti gaming x so I don't think it would be a problem. Let me know what you think

This may sound ridiculous but I am wondering if using one 32" 1080p 144hz monitor as a center with two 24" 1080p 144hz monitors as the outside would work? Reason why I would want this set up is because I play a truck sim and also some shooter games. The trick sim I would use all three monitors at once and the shooters I would just use the middle. I'm sure having all three working in game would be a lot of stress on my GPU but I have a 2080ti gaming x so I don't think it would be a problem. Let me know what you think

Hi,

Short answer is yes- the main requirements for multi-screen setups like that is to have the same vertical resolution between the screens and same refresh rate (all screens would be limited to the lowest common denominator if using them together) so the fact all 3 are matched at 144hz should work fine.

Note you could look at getting a widescreen middle monitor with a higher horizontal resolution- as long as the vertical resolution is still 1080 pixels it would match up with the two 24" side screens (e.g. a 2560 x 1080 widescreen should pair up fine with 2 x 1920 x 1080 side screens).

Redline090

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Ok so I got a 32" 1080 165hz monitor and set it to 144hz like my other 2 24" monitors. I cant get surround to work. When I click enable surround the only monitor that turns on is the 32", the other 2 go black. Any tips?

Redline090

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Ok so I figured my issue out. Now I have another question. My center 32" monitor, the height of the monitor is a lot taller than my side 24" monitors. 32" is 28 inches across 15.5 inches tall, my 24" monitors are 20 inches across 11.5 inches tall. Is there a way to maybe "zoom" my side monitors in so that way all three monitors match? My when I move across my monitors the mouse is off when I go across the bevels. In game the bevels arent lined up correctly.

Ok so I figured my issue out. Now I have another question. My center 32" monitor, the height of the monitor is a lot taller than my side 24" monitors. 32" is 28 inches across 15.5 inches tall, my 24" monitors are 20 inches across 11.5 inches tall. Is there a way to maybe "zoom" my side monitors in so that way all three monitors match? My when I move across my monitors the mouse is off when I go across the bevels. In game the bevels arent lined up correctly.

That is a tricky one- there is an option to correct for bezel thickness in the Surround settings so that should allow you to compensate for the horizontal offset, however I'm not sure you can do much about the vertical height being different. In my experience you can usually get widescreens with the same vertical dimensions as a standard for this type of setup. As I mentioned the vertical resolution needs to be the same for all 3 screens to work together- to 'Zoom' the side screens would require them to run at a lower resolution than the centre screen, which I don't believe you can do on an nVidia card.

Redline090

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Ah ok, so maybe the height difference is the reason why I'm having problems. Now when I go into a game at 5760x1080 the left and center monitor will work as they should but the right monitor will be black. When I exit the game, the right monitor will still be black and now the left monitor about a 1/4 of it will be black. I have to go into nvidia control panel, click on one of the Aspect/fullscreen/no scaling options then apply and they will go back to 5760x1080. If very weird and very frustrating.

Ah ok, so maybe the height difference is the reason why I'm having problems. Now when I go into a game at 5760x1080 the left and center monitor will work as they should but the right monitor will be black. When I exit the game, the right monitor will still be black and now the left monitor about a 1/4 of it will be black. I have to go into nvidia control panel, click on one of the Aspect/fullscreen/no scaling options then apply and they will go back to 5760x1080. If very weird and very frustrating.

Hmm that sounds like a different problem- what connectors are you using for the three screens? You are connecting all 3 to the 2080ti correct?

Yes, all 3 are connected to the 2080ti via DisplayPort. I know my 32" is 165hz but I set it to 144hz to match my 24" monitors. Still having the same issue

That is strange- especially that the left hand screen works but not the right. Out of interest, have you tried switching the screens over to see if there is an issue with one of the screens or the cable? It sounds like the nVidia driver thinks it's spanning all 3 screens...

Edit: I would also suggest you try the setup at a lower refresh rate- for example 60hz, just to see if the screens behave at those settings.