[SOLVED] 32 bit OS on 8GB RAM?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
So, what happens when you install 32 bit windows on a device running 8GB RAM?
Will it simply just ignore 4 GB of it? or it will cause unstable/corrupted installation or it just won't install?

Solution
So, what happens when you install 32 bit windows on a device running 8GB RAM?
Will it simply just ignore 4 GB of it? or it will cause unstable/corrupted installation or it just won't install?

Nothing happens, Win10 32-bit only sees 4GB max.

Otherwise it should install and run normally.

Colif

Win 11 Master
pity you don't have proof of purchase on the ram as most of it has life time warranty meaning if ram failed memtest, you could return it and get a new stick that fully works.

I would test it and see how bad it is
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
pity you don't have proof of purchase on the ram as most of it has life time warranty meaning if ram failed memtest, you could return it and get a new stick that fully works.

I would test it and see how bad it is
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
Ran Memtest 5-6 times. Ran into errors twice.
And about warranty:
  1. Proof of purchase: i have it but the store will not acknowledge my ram as faulty
  2. Getting a good ram violates my mom's anti gaming policy
I am free to buy a new RAM after high school graduation exams

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might actually be less likely to use the bad part of the ram on a 64bit operating system as there are more memory addresses that don't need to be mapped to physical memory. Windows only uses the ram if you run something that uses it all.

Most of windows runs outside of the ram memory spaces. it runs in virtual memory, its why a 8gb stick on 64bit gives you 7.9gb to use, whereas if you use 32 bit you restricted to 3,5gb . There is less virtual memory spaces on a 32bit system.

Proof of purchase: i have it but the store will not acknowledge my ram as faulty
I don't get why store is involved, all you need is a copy of proof of purchase, you can normally go direct to ram makers for replacements.

I don't want to get you in trouble with mum :)

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
You might actually be less likely to use the bad part of the ram on a 64bit operating system as there are more memory addresses that don't need to be mapped to physical memory. Windows only uses the ram if you run something that uses it all.

Most of windows runs outside of the ram memory spaces. it runs in virtual memory, its why a 8gb stick on 64bit gives you 7.9gb to use, whereas if you use 32 bit you restricted to 3,5gb . There is less virtual memory spaces on a 32bit system.

I don't get why store is involved, all you need is a copy of proof of purchase, you can normally go direct to ram makers for replacements.

I don't want to get you in trouble with mum :)
Well, as proof of purchase, i only have the receipt of buying from the store. Nothing related to corsair. Is that enough to claim it? I mean is that enough of a proof that my RAM deserves the warranty service? Then I might skip the "buy" thing and head straight for RMA.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, as proof of purchase, i only have the receipt of buying from the store. Nothing related to corsair. Is that enough to claim it? I mean is that enough of a proof that my RAM deserves the warranty service? Then I might skip the "buy" thing and head straight for RMA.
I guess it might not be enough if it doesn't even mention them.
Store is being a pain, not like its hard to swap sticks. Boo them.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
The main problem is, their technical stuffs are either ignorant or lazy. They just boot windows and say everything is fine. Otherwise i would have sent my ram to RMA 2 years ago. And graduation exams wouldn't be a problem too. Anyway thanks a lot guys

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
The main problem is, their technical stuffs are either ignorant or lazy. They just boot windows and say everything is fine. Otherwise i would have sent my ram to RMA 2 years ago. And graduation exams wouldn't be a problem too. Anyway thanks a lot guys

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
That doesn't really mean the ram is faulty.
It may run just fine with appropriate latency/frequency settings.

What model ram is it? How many modules?
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
If you want details, it's all there. Tried to get rid of all other possibilities

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Didn't see CPU-Z memory section screenshot there.
Just link them here (CPU-Z spd and memory screenshots) so people don't have to go through 50 posts in your other topic, to find necessary info.
No, i sent that link because it also has the results of what happened when i tried other frequesncies and timings. (I tried all 4 different timings and frequencies) Even I forgot the exact results. Anyway, here's the SPD tab:
View: https://imgur.com/kvM7lgZ

And this was my answer:

1. I tried JDEC #7 and JDEC #8 but the problem remained. IDK how to try JDEC #6 because BIOS memory multiplier could be set either to 21(2100mhz) or 20(2000mhz). But not to 20.74(2*1037=2074mhz)

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
And if it helps:
Things I've tried:

1. Memtest86: Failed
  2. BIOS update: Didn't help
  3. HDD Check: Perfect Condition
  4. Erase and Re-install all drivers: Didn't help
  5. Aida64: Hardware Failure Detected error
  6. Reassemble PC: Didn't help
  7. Prime 95: Fatal Error: Rounding was X.X, expected less than 0
So, i reached the conclusion that the RAM was faulty.
Apparently, I am playing around with this RAM and trying different weird ideas for future references. (Might be able to help someone else with same problems)

Last edited: