[SOLVED] 32 bit os to 64 bit os

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2020
I was wondering if I can install a 32 bit windows 10 on my new 64 bit computer and then upgrade the 32 bit windows 10 to the 64 bit windows 10 right after. Thanks

Solution
Have you tried? The MS Media Creator creates a USB to install 64bit version of Windows 10, I don't believe you need a 64 bit system just to create the install media.

BTW, I found this.

When creating a bootable USB device, I am getting an error about bootsect

To make the USB drive bootable, you need to run a tool named bootsect.exe. In some cases, this tool needs to be downloaded from your Microsoft Store account. This may happen if you're trying to create a 64-bit bootable USB device from a 32-bit version of Windows. To download bootsect:

1. Login to your Microsoft Store account to view your purchase history.

2. Look for your Windows purchase.

3. Next to Windows, there is an Additional download options...
Have you tried? The MS Media Creator creates a USB to install 64bit version of Windows 10, I don't believe you need a 64 bit system just to create the install media.

BTW, I found this.

When creating a bootable USB device, I am getting an error about bootsect

To make the USB drive bootable, you need to run a tool named bootsect.exe. In some cases, this tool needs to be downloaded from your Microsoft Store account. This may happen if you're trying to create a 64-bit bootable USB device from a 32-bit version of Windows. To download bootsect:

1. Login to your Microsoft Store account to view your purchase history.

2. Look for your Windows purchase.

3. Next to Windows, there is an Additional download options drop-down menu.

4. In the drop-down menu, select 32-bit ISO.

5. Right-click the link, and then save the bootsect.exe file to the location where you installed the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool (e.g. C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\Windows USB DVD Download Tool).

If you did not buy Windows you can download bootsec.exe form one of numerous sites online such as this. (BTW I don't know the safety of this site) https://gadgetsregion.net/bootsect-exe-download/

6. Once the file has been saved, go back to the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to create your bootable USB device.

Last edited:
Solution
Have you tried? The MS Media Creator creates a USB to install 64bit version of Windows 10, I don't believe you need a 64 bit system just to create the install media......
The MS Media Creator creates the media based upon the system it is run on. You cannot use it to create a 64-bit installation from a 32-bit system, and vice versa. Or at least the last time I used it it was thus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS