[SOLVED] 32 bit to 64 bit?

fredthefifth

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hi All, my 32 bit system only has 4GB RAM and I want to upgrade to 64 bit so I can upgrade the RAM. My MB and processor are 64 bit compatible.

My understanding is that I can do this at no additional cost by using the Microsoft media creation tool. Thing is I would like to keep my old 32 bit installation until I know all my Apps and games work ok.

Does anyone know if the media creation tool will allow the new Windows 10 64 bit installation on a new clean hard disk or does it need a qualifying product, ie my old installation?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Solution
Your key is for win 10 32bit & 64bit, you don't need to worry about it. You don't need the key to clean install win 10 on a PC its already been on before. When you get to page asking for key, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and once completed, it will contact activation servers that hold info on all win 10 PC's and their licence info, and it will see your PC in list and reactivate your install.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is no upgrade path from any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit version. You must perform a full, clean install to change.

You should be able to use your current product key, on the same system whether 32-bit or 64-bit.

fredthefifth

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Yes, appreciate it needs to be a clean install hence why I want to install on a new clean drive but keep the original.

Is product key what is shown against product ID in the System Settings? If so my key ends in OEM (it was a home build system). Does that affect anything?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your key is for win 10 32bit & 64bit, you don't need to worry about it. You don't need the key to clean install win 10 on a PC its already been on before. When you get to page asking for key, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and once completed, it will contact activation servers that hold info on all win 10 PC's and their licence info, and it will see your PC in list and reactivate your install.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution