[SOLVED] 320 MB 8800 GTS vs 1 GB HD 4650?

Sep 11, 2017
Well, that. A title you'd expect to see in 2008, not now. I have a C2D E8400 and 6 GB of DDR3 RAM.

I know that the 8800 GTS is better, but, 320 MB of RAM.... my my what were they thinking.

I generally want to play a variety of older titles, a lot which either use the source engine or are games i know i would be overspec'd for, so its no problem with neither of these cards.

The problem comes with most modern titles i wanna play:
-Rocket League
-World of Warships
-Crysis
-Minecraft

While GPU wise neither seem far off from minimum spec, VRAM keeps getting back at me, but idk if its worth getting one with less processing power just for more VRAM if it turns our that the the games that actually require it arent run at playable FPS.

Anyone has a suggestion in which one is better?

And, Yes i know they are very old cards, yes i know they are not suitable for modern gaming, no i do not have other options due to budget and avaliability, these are the best i could find after hours of searching.

Thanks!

Solution
The 8800 GTS is about 30% faster overall but both being DX10 cards hurts the most in games that are expecting DX11 hardware as a minimum.

Any of these are low power requirements and a little fast with a cost less than $20 used US.

GT 630
GT 640
GT 730
R5 240
R5 330 OEM
HD 8570 OEM

There are more options open provided you have a Power supply that can handle the load and has the available connector.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The 8800 GTS is about 30% faster overall but both being DX10 cards hurts the most in games that are expecting DX11 hardware as a minimum.

Any of these are low power requirements and a little fast with a cost less than $20 used US.

GT 630
GT 640
GT 730
R5 240
R5 330 OEM
HD 8570 OEM

There are more options open provided you have a Power supply that can handle the load and has the available connector.

Solution
Sep 11, 2017

GT 630
GT 640
GT 730
R5 240
R5 330 OEM
HD 8570 OEM

Well i have a CX650 2nd gen power suply, thats no concern. But yes all of those are precisely the first ones i looked up. Here in Mexico, whatever you find in the US, here it costs around 30% to 80% more money than you would pay for them there, considering that even so, wages here are lower, and precisely as i have around a $20 budget, they are a no-no. All of those you list sit between 600-900 MXN / 30-45 USD.

I'll be ok with whatever runs GTA SA and Half Life 2 smoothly, something that my Intel GMA graphics struggle with, thats why i dont consider saving more for those cards and im only considering the 8800 GTS and the HD 4650, my question means more like, hoping that if either of them can run the games i listed, which one does it better? If none do them good, then ill buy the 8800 GTS because it will benefit me more on older titles.
Thanks

Last edited:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Here in Mexico, whatever you find in the US, here it costs around 30% to 80% more money than you would pay for them there, considering that even so, wages here are lower, and precisely as i have around a $20 budget, they are a no-no. All of those you list sit between 600-900 MXN / 30-45 USD.

Not entirely true, it depends on where you live. Mexico City, Monterrey, and Guadalajara are all growing tech hubs with something like 12 eWaste centers between them. Anywhere you have tech hubs you have Tech communities, markets, forums and classifieds where IT trade used parts but that is something easier to find when your in that Country. ;)

I got a working 450 GTS that is going to the eWaste center if you can find a decent shipping method from the US to your location it's yours.

The last time I shipped to Mexico it was Mexico City via a combination of DHL and USPS First Class, a 8x5x2 Parcel weighing 2 lbs. The cost was $22 with a 3 week delivery time.

Sep 11, 2017
Not entirely true, it depends on where you live. Mexico City, Monterrey, and Guadalajara are all growing tech hubs with something like 12 eWaste centers between them. Anywhere you have tech hubs you have Tech communities, markets, forums and classifieds where IT trade used parts but that is something easier to find when your in that Country. ;)

I got a working 450 GTS that is going to the eWaste center if you can find a decent shipping method from the US to your location it's yours.

The last time I shipped to Mexico it was Mexico City via a combination of DHL and USPS First Class, a 8x5x2 Parcel weighing 2 lbs. The cost was $22 with a 3 week delivery time.

I never followed up but i guess i can, i ended up buying an HD 7750 1 GB DDR5 for around 32 USD.