Question 3200g bottle neck GTX 1060 3g?

FrostyL2K

Prominent
Jul 28, 2022
Hey guys,
I'm going for a GPU upgrade so I thought of giving my old GPU(GTX 1060 3gb) to my gf. I can also give her a Corsair vengence 3200mhz 8gigs stick. She's been playing mostly Valorant with the 3200g integrated graphics. But plans to play other single player titles once I give her the GPU.
Current PC specs are as follows;

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200g
Mobo: Gigabyte A320m
Ram: Single 8gigs 2666mhz DDR4
Storage: 240GB NVME
PSU: 450w
Monitor: 1080p, 75hz

What I want to know is,
  1. will the CPU bottleneck the 1060 3GB? If so, how much of a bottleneck would it be?
  2. will upgrading the ram to 3200mhz makes a considerable difference compared to the 2666mhz ram or is ok to have both ram sticks on together?

Prices have doubled in my country as the local currency has dropped in value. So without buying a new CPU can I get away with this setup? Thank you very much.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Should work if you update the drivers. The only issue may be your PSU not supplying enough wattage, depending on your GPU it'll take around 120 Watts to power it. You'll also want to make sure that the PSU also has enough PCI-E Power connectors for that card.

I wouldn't worry too much about bottlenecks with this particular system though. Especially not with a 3GB VRAM card.

I'd stay away from sticking a random stick of ram into that PC though, that'll just cause your more headaches than it'll be worth.

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
Hey guys,
I'm going for a GPU upgrade so I thought of giving my old GPU(GTX 1060 3gb) to my gf. I can also give her a Corsair vengence 3200mhz 8gigs stick. She's been playing mostly Valorant with the 3200g integrated graphics. But plans to play other single player titles once I give her the GPU.

What I want to know is,
  1. will the CPU bottleneck the 1060 3GB? If so, how much of a bottleneck would it be?
  2. will upgrading the ram to 3200mhz makes a considerable difference compared to the 2666mhz ram or is ok to have both ram sticks on together?
Prices have doubled in my country as the local currency has dropped in value. So without buying a new CPU can I get away with this setup? Thank you very much.
Having 2 different speeds of sticks, shall limit the faster one to the speed of the slower one.
If you are worried about bottlenecks,well best way to know for sure,is to try it.
Gaming experience shall spectacularly improve, bottleneck or no bottleneck.
If the performance uplift makes her happy enough, who cares.
PSU model?

Hey guys,

What I want to know is,
Put both sticks of ram in the pc and see if the pc will boot.

If it does check how much ram windows shows as usable and the ram speed.

If things look good boot a copy of memtest86 and let it run for a few hours.....no errors allowed.

Reactions: kizo

FrostyL2K

Prominent
Jul 28, 2022
Having 2 different speeds of sticks, shall limit the faster one to the speed of the slower one.
If you are worried about bottlenecks,well best way to know for sure,is to try it.
Gaming experience shall spectacularly improve, bottleneck or no bottleneck.
If the performance uplift makes her happy enough, who cares.
PSU model?
One currently in the system is a lower wattage one. I don't think it can power the 1060. So I thought of replacing it with this: https://www.nanotek.lk/product/1606

FrostyL2K

Prominent
Jul 28, 2022
Put both sticks of ram in the pc and see if the pc will boot.

If it does check how much ram windows shows as usable and the ram speed.

If things look good boot a copy of memtest86 and let it run for a few hours.....no errors allowed.
I know this is dependent on the games that this will be running. But generally, is it better to have 8GB 3200mhz ram or 16GB running @ 2666mhz on this particular system?