[SOLVED] 3200mhz at 1.5v safe?

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I built my PC a few months ago and I am using G.skill Trident z rgb 16gb as my ram. First thing I did when I got into bios was push it up to 3200 mhz (marketed speed) from 2666mhz. My asus board automatically set the voltage to 1.51 and that seemed a little high but i didn’t question it. I’ve been dealing with some stutters in games recently and I’m curious if that voltage could be the issue? and if i should set it manually what’s a good voltage for 3200mhz?

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I think 1.50v is high for DDR4 RAM
DDR4 memory @ 3200MHz works just fine at 1.35V
I have overclocked DDR4 memory to 4133MHz and the highest voltage required was 1.40V.

You could check the settings for your RAM by visiting G.skill website.
Thanks for the quick reply, Do you think I’ll see any benefits from putting the voltage down to 1.35? And will I have to stress test the ram?

1.5v is fine, as long as you only run it temporarily and not 24/7.

1.4v is the max you want to be at for DDR4 on 24/7 overclocks.

It is a good idea to stress test RAM, as your XMP profile should be guaranteed to run absolutely stable on the RAM itself. But, this does not guarantee the memory controller on the CPU can keep up with that frequency. Hence why you still want to stress test.

I recommend running memtest86 and an overnight run of OCCT large data set. If it fails, let us know.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
1.5v is fine, as long as you only run it temporarily and not 24/7.

1.4v is the max you want to be at for DDR4 on 24/7 overclocks.

It is a good idea to stress test RAM, as your XMP profile should be guaranteed to run absolutely stable on the RAM itself. But, this does not guarantee the memory controller on the CPU can keep up with that frequency. Hence why you still want to stress test.

I recommend running memtest86 and an overnight run of OCCT large data set. If it fails, let us know.
I set it to 1.35v and ran a memory stress test on Intel extreme tuning utility for an hour and played some games and had no issues. Also I’m not using XMP, i just set the speed to 3200mhz? Should i use xmp?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Yes, however, there are higher clock frequency DDR4 kits available that specify voltages up to 1.5 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611 601330884

Intel has two specifications for DRAM on 14 and 22 nanometer CPUs; 1.2 for LV and 1.35.

As per Intel's Datasheets, both specifications indicate +/-5%, which means that with respect to the on-die Integrated Memory Controller (IMC), maximum DRAM voltage is 1.4175.

The weak link in the chain isn't necessarily the memory chips themselves; it's the CPU's memory controller.

CT 😎

Reactions: oliver.elgersma
I set it to 1.35v and ran a memory stress test on Intel extreme tuning utility for an hour and played some games and had no issues. Also I’m not using XMP, i just set the speed to 3200mhz? Should i use xmp?

Yes, because XMP also tightens the timings. Though you can just enter the rated XMP profile's timings manually yourself if you wish.

XTU isn't the most demanding stress test, I'd still recommend at least doing memtest86. OCCT overnight would still be good aswell if you want to do that.

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Yes, because XMP also tightens the timings. Though you can just enter the rated XMP profile's timings manually yourself if you wish.

XTU isn't the most demanding stress test, I'd still recommend at least doing memtest86. OCCT overnight would still be good aswell if you want to do that.
Can I just enable xmp in bios and leave it at that? or do i have to change other settings? Sorry just haven’t messed with memory before