Question 3200mhz cl16 or 3600mhz cl18?

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
I know this has probably been asked a whole lot of times, but Im looking to upgrade my pc with a new cpu, mobo, ram and a couple other little things. But Im a little stuck with the ram aspect, specifically between getting 3200mhz or 3600mhz ram.

The cpu im looking at is the ryzen 9 3900x and the motherboard is an asus prime x570 pro. Ive read that the sweet spot for ryzen cpus are like 3700 or so and that 3600 was a pretty good thing to go for cost wise. Now, Ive noticed that the ram modules with higher frequencies, like 3600mhz, usually tend to have higher timings starting with 18.

Now, is there going to be much noticeable difference between the two? Like i know theyre both going to perform nicely regardless, im going to notice a huge difference in my build now anyways, ive got an i7 920 :tearsofjoy: Ive also seen that when comparing 3200 to 3600, 3600 usually is a few fps higher in the case of games, but i was wondering if a higher latency is going to make any difference in any other circumstances?

So ya, thanks for any responses, cheers!

Last edited:
I know this has probably been asked a whole lot of times, but Im looking to upgrade my pc with a new cpu, mobo, ram and a couple other little things. But Im a little stuck with the ram aspect, specifically between getting 3200mhz or 3600mhz ram.

The cpu im looking at is the ryzen 9 3900x and the motherboard is an asus prime x570 pro. Ive read that the sweet spot for ryzen cpus are like 3700 or so and that 3600 was a pretty good thing to go for cost wise. Now, Ive noticed that the ram modules with higher frequencies, like 3600mhz, usually tend to have higher timings starting with 18.

Now, is there going to be much noticeable difference between the two? Like i know theyre both going to perform nicely regardless, im going to notice a huge difference in my build now anyways, ive got an i7 920 :tearsofjoy: Ive also seen that when comparing 3200 to 3600, 3600 usually is a few fps higher in the case of games, but i was wondering if a higher latency is going to make any difference in any other circumstances?

So ya, thanks for any responses, cheers!
Noticeable in benchmarks yes but in real life it depends much on particular software/games and how much they rely on memory speed and/or latency.