Question 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM for Gigabyte B660 Gaming X and i5-12400F ?

Jan 23, 2023
Hi all, on my newly assembled PC I installed this RAM:

2x16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC4-25600 (3200Mhz) (Black), F4-3200C16D-32GVK (16-18-18-38-56-2T)

In a week it gave me a BSOD caused by the RAM, and a fairly heavy game crashed several times, it seemed to me probably due to the RAM.

Yesterday I did memtest86 and it found no errors, but a warning in red text says:
"RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips"
Some say you can ignore it, but memtest also suggests changing the chips.

Since I can return and get a refund without problems (I paid 90 euros), and since I've never had any issue with Corsair, would you advise me to replace with:

2x16GB Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 (15-15-15-36) ? At least this is the timing specified in the product where i bought it directly: https://www.corsair.com/it/it/Categ...di-memoria/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

Or can you recommend another model if there is better and that isn't more expensive than the Corsair above (104 euros) ?

And do you recommend 16GB or 32GB, since I only play games with it? Some say games will soon need more than 16GB. But I also read that 16GB is a bit faster than 32GB..

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your build, you've mentioned the CPU motherboard and ram, we will also need to know the make and model of:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
inclusive of your PSU's age, in order to diagnose if what you're assuming is correct.

You might want to diagnose the issue and then move towards dropping money into the issue as opposed to buying parts and then hoping it solves the issue.

Jan 23, 2023
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your build, you've mentioned the CPU motherboard and ram, we will also need to know the make and model of:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
inclusive of your PSU's age, in order to diagnose if what you're assuming is correct.

You might want to diagnose the issue and then move towards dropping money into the issue as opposed to buying parts and then hoping it solves the issue.

Latest bios version F21
SSD/HDD: Crucial P5, SSD Samsung 840 512GB and WD Blue 512 GB
GPU: MSI 1070 Gaming X
PSU: XFX Pro 750W XXX Version 80+ Silver , since 2016 (didn't cause any issue on previous PC, almost same Wattage use
Chassis: NZXT H7 Flow
Monitor: Benq 24''

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023
This has been my go to series, for quite some time. You want 32gb ram. Games are starting to get ram hungry.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€88.33 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €88.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-07 17:49 CET+0100
That's the RAM I bought, but since i can change it for free, I would want another type/brand
Just not very lucky with the first one maybe, but it wasn't love at first sight for sure :)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
bios version F21
Noted!

PSU: XFX Pro 750W XXX Version 80+ Silver
That unit as made about 9 years ago, if your make and model is correct. How old is this unit? Your BSoD's can't be due to the ram used...though now I'm curious, did you perform a motherboard/platform swap/upgrade without reinstalling the OS? Which two slots are the sticks of ram populating on the motherboard?

Jan 23, 2023
bios version F21
Noted!

PSU: XFX Pro 750W XXX Version 80+ Silver
That unit as made about 9 years ago, if your make and model is correct. How old is this unit? Your BSoD's can't be due to the ram used...though now I'm curious, did you perform a motherboard/platform swap/upgrade without reinstalling the OS? Which two slots are the sticks of ram populating on the motherboard?
Apologize, i edited my last post, the line " since 2016 (didn't cause any issue on previous PC, almost same Wattage use" was referred to the PSU indeed.

I bought it in 2016, so 7 years old. I know, it would have been wise to replace it, but due to budget constraints, and since it stil seemed to hold on well, I decided to keep it for now, and replace it together with the VGA, in 1-2 years at the latest.

I replaced also the main SSD with Nvme, before i had only SATA, so i of course reinstalled O.S. from scratch, yes :) I wouldn't change motherboard like that mate.

I placed RAM in the two dark slots, first (near CPU) and third slot

I checked the eventviewer to see if there were any RAM related errors and could not find any, but there are so many that I might have missed some

Lutfij

Titan
Your ram should work with your platform even with a base level BIOS version;
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...221110.pdf?v=fca67137cf0b58964665d6b1c60a0baf
per the manual(section 2-4, page 15) you should be populating slots A2 and B2. See if the BSoD's evaporate when the rams are in those slots.

I wouldn't change motherboard like that mate
We ask to double check. We've come across people where the solution was simple and didn't require any exchanges or refunds. Yes you could be in the possession of a faulty ram kit but the fact that the issue crops up when your system is taxed would indicate a power, thermal or software issue, IMHO. FYI, a 7 year old PSU will not output the same power when aged...due to internal componentry wear and tear.

Jan 23, 2023
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...221110.pdf?v=fca67137cf0b58964665d6b1c60a0baf
per the manual(section 2-4, page 15) you should be populating slots A2 and B2. See if the BSoD's evaporate when the rams are in those slots.

We ask to double check. We've come across people where the solution was simple and didn't require any exchanges or refunds. Yes you could be in the possession of a faulty ram kit but the fact that the issue crops up when your system is taxed would indicate a power, thermal or software issue, IMHO. FYI, a 7 year old PSU will not output the same power when aged...due to internal componentry wear and tear.
I will try swapping slots mate, thanks.

But shouldn't it be enough for them to be in alternate slots? I.e. A1+B1...OR...A2+B2?
Where did you read exactly that i need exclusively A2 and B2 ?

Your assumptions regarding the PSU have a solid base. I will have confirmation once the new RAM arrive anyway, hopefully by Friday

Jan 23, 2023

I swapped the DIMMs and put them on the other 2 slots. I did a quite long gaming session and no crash so far. I do not want to say anything yet, but let's cross fingers :)

Jan 23, 2023
Ok so I did also another RAM test, only the "hammertest" where i got that note (not error) and i did not get any note nor error this time.

If i do not have any crash during the weekend, I will just keep those. I had read by mistake the timings of the corsair : https://www.corsair.com/it/en/Categ...EANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2E3200C16#tab-tech-specs

15-15-15-36 is at 2133 mhz... at 3200 they are 16-20-20-38 , worse than G.Skill: 16-18-18-38-56-2T, so i presume they would perform a bit worse