Question 3200MHz RAM refuses to run at advertised speed

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I have the Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C kit that I bought in 2017. I was running it in a rig that had a 7700K delidded and OC'd to 5.0GHz. I tried setting the XMP profile and running it at 3200MHz. It wouldn't run in that setup and I figured maybe it couldn't do the advertised speed because I was already pushing the system with the CPU OC. It did run fine at 3000MHz and for all intent and purposes that extra 200MHz wouldn't have been a game changer.

I am now using that same set of RAM in a backup PC that I just put together today. I set the 7700K back to stock speeds with everything set at auto and then set the XMP at 3200MHz. The voltage auto adjusted to 1.35V which should be more than enough for the RAM. It seemed to be working fine and then I got a weird issue with my screen resolution and Afterburner not even recognizing my GPU. Then I got a blue screen with a memory issue listed as the cause. I set it back to 3000MHz and everything is working fine again.

Did I just get a piss poor silicon lottery? Glad I went with G. Skill for my new build. It is running perfectly at 3600MHz with CL16 timings.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
backup PC

full system hardware specs and OS information?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?
7700K stock speed CPU
Asus Maximus IX Code motherboard
750 Ti GPU
32GB Corsair Vengeance LED RAM
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB x 2
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance case
Be Quiet Dark Rock Slim cooler

All these components are from my 2017 build except for the case and cooler. The RAM never ran at advertised speed from day one. I thought it was interesting that I am running the 7700K at stock speeds now and it still won't do 3200MHz. I gave up on it a long time ago and it's now even less important that it's in a backup PC that will not do much but surf the web. Just thought it was odd and figure I got a dud.

Last edited:

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
2017 build.....

My initial thought is that that 4 year old PSU may be starting to falter and fail.

Do you have another known working PSU to swap in for testing purposes?
I really don't feel it's the PSU since I wasn't able to get to 3200MHz from day one back in 2017 when that PSU was brand new. It's still running strong in the backup PC and I bought another one for my new build. 850 W was running the old build and it still runs the new build with upgrade to 5900X and 3080.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I really don't feel it's the PSU since I wasn't able to get to 3200MHz from day one back in 2017 when that PSU was brand new. It's still running strong in the backup PC and I bought another one for my new build. 850 W was running the old build and it still runs the new build with upgrade to 5900X and 3080.
You again 🆒
Ouch on buying Asus products I hate them and never buy or recommend them.

Now set it to XMP but then increase your voltage to 1.4

Lets see if I can get on a roll helping you!

EDIT your CPU overclock has nothing to do with it unless it's not stable.

Last edited:

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
You again 🆒
Ouch on buying Asus products I hate them and never buy or recommend them.

Now set it to XMP but then increase your voltage to 1.4

Lets see if I can get on a roll helping you!

EDIT your CPU overclock has nothing to do with it unless it's not stable.
I'll try that and report back if I get a blue screen or it runs stable for a day. Thanks.