[SOLVED] 3200MHZ ram running at 2133mhz. insight would be well appreciated

Aug 22, 2021
I have a ryzen 7 2700x, AsRock b450 Steel legend. 1660ti MSI, and 4 sticks (8gb) of 3200mhz Corsair vengeance RAm. I have enabled XMP and 3200mhz in BiOS, and saved profiles, saved and booted, but task manager is still reading at 2133mhz.

Solution
Your manual is here:

B450 Steel Legend.pdf (asrock.com)

Page 50 on is BIOS, and page 59 describes some of the RAM setting feature. I did a quick look and don't own that specific motherboard. You should see a location where you can change the DRAM frequency, typically the same place as you would set XMP or do manual timings. Most of the time there will be a dropdown that has a list of frequency. The actual timings are typically below that. To start I would simply try to manually set it at 3000 and see if it will boot at that speed, if not, lower to 2933, and so on.
In some cases it may be required to manually set timings and voltage. I cannot recommend enough that if you don't know what you are doing there, don't. You can...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Kick the speed down towards 29xx or 30xx and see if it will boot at that speed. It is not uncommon for RAM to have to be set below it's advertised XMP speed when running 4X.

Use CPU-Z to look at the various memory timing/speed parameters.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your manual is here:

Page 50 on is BIOS, and page 59 describes some of the RAM setting feature. I did a quick look and don't own that specific motherboard. You should see a location where you can change the DRAM frequency, typically the same place as you would set XMP or do manual timings. Most of the time there will be a dropdown that has a list of frequency. The actual timings are typically below that. To start I would simply try to manually set it at 3000 and see if it will boot at that speed, if not, lower to 2933, and so on.
In some cases it may be required to manually set timings and voltage. I cannot recommend enough that if you don't know what you are doing there, don't. You can damage things with the wrong settings.
I mention CPU-Z because it's Memory and SPD tabs will show what it's currently running, and it's reported JEDEC and XMP speed and timings.

Solution
Aug 22, 2021
Your manual is here:

In some cases it may be required to manually set timings and voltage. I cannot recommend enough that if you don't know what you are doing there, don't. You can damage things with the wrong settings.
I mention CPU-Z because it's Memory and SPD tabs will show what it's currently running, and it's reported JEDEC and XMP speed and timings.
Can you tell me whats wrong here?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ You note that the other timings and frequency are all ~2133 @ 1.2V. The XMP setting is requiring 1.35V. (where it says 1600MHz is half the timing as it actually runs)

In that same area where you are setting XMP there should be a voltage for the RAM, check to see if it's keeping the 1.2V in spite of your enabling the XMP setting. Even IF you increase the voltage it may still not run at 3200 with 4x sticks installed. DO NOT go over the 1.35V it's showing there without guidance of someone very familiar with what they are doing with overclocking.

Reactions: gabrielp1717
Aug 22, 2021
^ You note that the other timings and frequency are all ~2133 @ 1.2V. The XMP setting is requiring 1.35V. (where it says 1600MHz is half the timing as it actually runs)

In that same area where you are setting XMP there should be a voltage for the RAM, check to see if it's keeping the 1.2V in spite of your enabling the XMP setting. Even IF you increase the voltage it may still not run at 3200 with 4x sticks installed. DO NOT go over the 1.35V it's showing there without guidance of someone very familiar with what they are doing with overclocking.
In BIOS the setting is set to 3200mhz and 1.35 volts

Aug 22, 2021
Ok, so manually keep the 1.35V and lower the frequency via the dropdown until you get (if you get) a higher frequency. Based on those JEDEC numbers I wouldn't think it out of possibility that they won't...
Posted up to 2800mhz but reset if I went to 2800+. Happy about it, thank you. Any idea why it won't go above out of curiosity?