Question 3200mhz ram running at 2133mhz

Dec 28, 2019
Mobo: Gigbyte B450 Gaming X
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200mhx (2x8gb)

My system is used for gaming mostly. The ram runs at 2133mhz. I looked this up originally and was told to enable xmp. After doing so, I had to clear cmos to get the system to post, resetting the ram back to 2133mhz. (Pretty sure I later learned it like an Intel technology or something idk lol) Upon further research I found my ram, down to the module part number on the memory support list for matisse cpus for my mobo (https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Motherboard/B450-Gaming-X-rev-10/support#support-doc CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 ) I notice this has timings/voltage etc.

My questions:
1: What are the advantages and disadvantages to running ram at higher speed?
2: Is it worth it for gaming/ worth any possible risks?
3: How would i go about doing it? (Matching the timings/voltage/speed listed on mobo support list to my bios? )

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
  1. You would gain some fps, very much depends on the game and if your game somehow stutters, higher RAM speed makes it way less.
  2. Yes it is worth it. If you are using XMP profile there is almost no risk. XMP profile is for it.
  3. If I understand right your CPU supports up to 2666 Mhz. That means you should manually enter the values of a Corsair Vengeance for 2666 Mhz and try.

Again is it worth? 2133 to 2666 is not that much of a gain, but still you should try I belive.

XMP is a pre-configured memory profile that will set the dRAM timings, voltage, and speed. If it isn't booting after enabling XMP, you could have defective RAM and it could be replaced under warranty.

Faster RAM speed results in higher framerates in gaming, particularly at 1080p resolution (performance difference becomes lower at higher resolutions, at least for now). AMD Ryzen systems seem to benefit more from faster RAM.

You could try to set timings, voltage, etc. in BIOS. You will have to get out your motherboard manual and find the settings.

Don't listen to @falcon291 (sorry guy), but the motherboard can support up to DDR4 3600 and the CPU is known to support that as well. Anything past DDR4 2666 is considered overclocked and it is very common for custom systems to run RAM at overclocked speeds on chipsets (such as the B450) that support it.

Dec 28, 2019
Hi, thanks to all of you for your responces! Much appcreciated!

I am a complete noob to ram speeds, 2 months ago i thought the only variation between ram was gigs lmao.

But now Ive built my own pc.

I can confirm that google claims ryzen 5 3600 pairs well with around 3000 mhz.

Now I have more questions (sorry for spam)

1: If ram didnt boot with xmp, should I be worried?

2: If i go above 2666mhz, will I lose warranty? and on what part(s)?

3: Should i go 2666mhz or 3000mhz or (insert other speed here)?

4: If i was to go with 2666mhz, do i manually match bios settimgs to timings and voltage present on support list mentioned prior? Even though these are paired with 3200mhz?

Again sorry for any n00b mistakes, this is my first encounter with ram speeds

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
XMP is a pre-configured memory profile that will set the dRAM timings, voltage, and speed. If it isn't booting after enabling XMP, you could have defective RAM and it could be replaced under warranty.

Faster RAM speed results in higher framerates in gaming, particularly at 1080p resolution (performance difference becomes lower at higher resolutions, at least for now). AMD Ryzen systems seem to benefit more from faster RAM.

You could try to set timings, voltage, etc. in BIOS. You will have to get out your motherboard manual and find the settings.

Don't listen to @falcon291 (sorry guy), but the motherboard can support up to DDR4 3600 and the CPU is known to support that as well. Anything past DDR4 2666 is considered overclocked and it is very common for custom systems to run RAM at overclocked speeds on chipsets (such as the B450) that support it.

Don't fell sorry, I don't know much about AMD, as I write if I understand right, well apparently I wasn't.

Don't fell sorry, I don't know much about AMD, as I write if I understand right, well apparently I wasn't.

The sweet spot for Ryzen CPU is 3200MHz. No one should be running their ryzen at stock DDR4 RAM speed. It's horrible and the difference in games is pretty noticeable.

I know you said you don't know much about AMD but the fact that you are in here trying to help someone about the thing you don't know much about is scaring me.

Jan 8, 2020
Mobo: Gigbyte B450 Gaming X
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200mhx (2x8gb)

My system is used for gaming mostly. The ram runs at 2133mhz. I looked this up originally and was told to enable xmp. After doing so, I had to clear cmos to get the system to post, resetting the ram back to 2133mhz. (Pretty sure I later learned it like an Intel technology or something idk lol) Upon further research I found my ram, down to the module part number on the memory support list for matisse cpus for my mobo (https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Motherboard/B450-Gaming-X-rev-10/support#support-doc CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 ) I notice this has timings/voltage etc.

My questions:
1: What are the advantages and disadvantages to running ram at higher speed?
2: Is it worth it for gaming/ worth any possible risks?
3: How would i go about doing it? (Matching the timings/voltage/speed listed on mobo support list to my bios? )

Jan 8, 2020
Did you get your memory up to speed yet? I have an X-570 board w/Ryzen 7 3700 and I was having the same problem as you about the system not posting. This is what worked for me.
How to Manually Change Memory Settings for Gigabyte X-570 Motherboards
Go into BIOS
Click on Tweaker
Click on System Memory Multiplier and set to whatever your memory speed is
Click on Settings
Click on AMD Overclock
Click on Accept
Click on DDR + Infinity Fabric Frequency/Timings
Click on Infinity Fabric Frequency and Dividers and set to ½ of your memory speed
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SET XMP TO ENABLED
This is where I found these settings;
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...E1E6D404544795808B0BE&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT
You’ll get this info before you’re halfway through the video. I had NO plans to overclock. All I ever wanted was to have my memory run at its published speed.

I hope this works for you.
Fred

Reactions: G_crowe404