3200MHZ XMP, 32GB KIT 4x8, Errors in Memtest86

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Hello, guys,

I need help with my ram sticks, since I'm not sure where the problem is exactly. I have already RMA the ram sticks and waiting the new ones to arrive, but I'm also anxious if I'll have any problems with the new ones as well.

Ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 4x8 kit 32GB, with 3200mhz XMP.
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite (latest bios)
CPU: i7 9700K

All components are about couple weeks old.

I first noticed the problem when playing Battlefield 5, I was overclocking my GPU and finding what its limit is, until I reached overclocks about +2 on the core that still 'crashed' the game. I got suspicious, since this is not a usual behaviour and even +2 to the factory stock clock speed should be stable. I wasn't suspecting the ram, since it is brand new and it's the top end model of Corsair's arsenal, until I ran a memtest86 (bios defaults with only xmp enabled) latest version that found 38 errors after all 4 tests (about 2 and a half hours).

I then ran x2 sticks to be sure whether it's the controller or it's the ram modules.

The results are:
x2 sticks still had about 20 + errors, and the other x2 sticks had about 4 errors. Again, all bios defaults and only XMP enabled.

I then made some tests without XMP (2133mhz) and all other settings on default and there were no errors on all 4 sticks.

Does that mean that my motherboard is fine and the ram modules are defective?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

kanewolf

Titan
In my opinion, there is nothing "wrong". XMP is not guaranteed on any specific configuration unless the memory is on the motherboard QVL at the speed you want. XMP is an overclock, and just like every overclock, "your results will vary". You could have tried a little more RAM voltage, to see if it was stable. But your particular set of parts may not be stable at 3200.

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

This would've been true, if the first x2 sticks weren't making above 30 errors, compared to the other x2 sticks that show below 5 errors. Same ram modules tested separately, with the same bios configuration...I don't know. Maybe I will find out after the new modules arrive this week.

EDIT: The new modules arrived and everything runs smoothly. No errors, no blue screens.

TRENDING THREADS