[SOLVED] 3266MHz CL14 vs 3600MHz CL15 RAM, which will yield higher FPS in games with Ryzen 9 3900x?

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I currently own G.Skill Flare X RAM rated for 3200MHz CL14. I recently came across this video which states that the sweet spot for RAM performance with the Ryzen 3XXX series CPUs is 3600MHz. As a result of watching that video, I became interested in overclocking my RAM to achieve this, but before I do, I have a few questions.

1. Is what I heard in the video about the 3600MHz being the sweet spot true?
  2. Does game resolution have a role in this? The games in the video were tested at 1080p, but I game at 1440p.
  3. Assuming that the answer to question one is "yes", which will yield better gaming performance between 3266MHz CL14 RAM and 3600MHz CL15 RAM? Through some testing, I determined that the maximum frequency I can set my RAM to at CL14 before it becomes unstable is 3266MHz. However, if 3600MHz at CL15 will yield better performance, then I'll try and shoot for that.

Solution
What motherboard are you using?
I personally would wait for a few BIOS updates before even considering buying new RAM.
Your C14 3200 MHz kit is most likely Samsung B die RAM which is the best RAM for OCing available.
I would be very surprised if a BIOS update that improves RAM compatibility isn't available in the next few months.
Once a more stable BIOS version is available you will most likely be able to OC your current RAM to 3400 MHz or even higher speeds using the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I personally would wait for a few BIOS updates before even considering buying new RAM.
Your C14 3200 MHz kit is most likely Samsung B die RAM which is the best RAM for OCing available.
I would be very surprised if a BIOS update that improves RAM compatibility isn't available in the next few months.
Once a more stable BIOS version is available you will most likely be able to OC your current RAM to 3400 MHz or even higher speeds using the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen:

Solution

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

I am currently using a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite. So in summary, your suggestion is to wait for a more stable BIOS for my motherboard, then attempt a higher frequency overclock at CL14 rather than going for a higher frequency at CL15 right now?