32bit Vista wont boot from Win8 64 boot CD

Auztin069

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I downloaded a 64bit version of Windows 8 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. I am trying to install the Windows 8 onto a PC with Vista 32bit but get a error saying I need a 32bit CD for the install.

The Vista machine passed everything on the Windows 8 check list and its a quad core 2.20 with 4gig ram.

I am trying to boot from a CD and already told the BIOS to boot from cd-rom

Solution
You likely purchased the UPGRADE version of Windows 8 64-bit but you required the 32-bit version as you can NOT upgrade from 32-bit XP/Vista/7 to 64-bit Windows 8.

You require one of the following:
a) Windows 8 64-bit (OEM Full version), or
b) Windows 8 32-bit (UPGRADE)

My advice is to buy the 64-bit OEM version and hopefully refund your upgrade copy if that's what you have as it's useless on your current computer.
You likely purchased the UPGRADE version of Windows 8 64-bit but you required the 32-bit version as you can NOT upgrade from 32-bit XP/Vista/7 to 64-bit Windows 8.

You require one of the following:
a) Windows 8 64-bit (OEM Full version), or
b) Windows 8 32-bit (UPGRADE)

My advice is to buy the 64-bit OEM version and hopefully refund your upgrade copy if that's what you have as it's useless on your current computer.

Solution

You can do a fresh installation, but the disc will still be looking for the previous 32-bit OS. Microsoft states very clearly that there's no way around this other than a non-Upgrade (FULL or OEM) version. You simply can't upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit.

Auztin069

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I thought I had the full version looking at the invoice it just says windows 8 $119. Ill check on the version but I have a second idea. I also have a full version of windows 7 64bit I could clean install but the CDs been used on another pc so the key wont work. But it should give me 30 days to activate the OS then allowing me to install windows 8?

The upgrade version is $120, the full/oem version is $100. It would be quicker to just do a quick format on the hdd then install w8. After you select custom, it should be at the "where do you want to install" screen. There is a button for drive options (advanced). You can delete partitions and reformat there.

I doubt you can use Windows 7 in this method. It is likely tied to the PC you Activated it on (Microsoft has a database of codes and the systems they're tied to which it would check).

*While it's my understanding the UPGRADE method (32-bit to 64-bit) won't work even if you do the Custom method, I can't absolutely verify that as I haven't tried it myself so I guess go ahead and see if it works.

Windows 8 Upgrade:
I noticed that Microsoft didn't have "Windows 8 Upgrade" on the box or even in the title when I looked at the store before. I had to look at the FINE PRINT at the bottom to discover it wasn't a full version but an upgrade. Really Microsoft?

Summary:
1) Windows 7 method PROBABLY won't work
2) "Custom" method MAY work (I didn't think so)
3) If stuck, my advice is RETURN the product if possible and buy "Windows 8 64-bit OEM" (and Start8 from Stardock)

Did your 64-bit Upgrade copy allow you to do a 32-bit installation?

Also, I wouldn't say there's "no point" in getting Windows 64-bit when you have 4GB of System Memory installed. You won't be able to use all 4GB of your memory now.

I'm not sure if you have any plans to add a graphics card but you need to avoid installing a graphics card with more than 1GB of Video RAM. Why?

Windows 32-bit addressing:
1) A 32-bit OS can address 4GB of memory locations (2exp32 combinations).
2) This 4GB includes the System RAM, Video RAM and other minor things.
3) On average, you can subtract 0.3GB and the VRAM from 4GB and the remaining can be used (your System RAM is physically 4GB but it can't use all of it).

Usable space with 4GB and 32-bit Windows (varies slightly by motherboard):
1) 1GB video card-> about 2.7GB usable
2) 2GB video card-> about 1.7GB usable
3) 3GB video card-> about 0.7GB (not a good scenario)
4) 512MB video card-> about 3.2GB usable

*With 64-bit Windows you'd be able to use all 4GB regardless of how large your Video RAM is on the graphics card. Just FYI. So if there's ANY WAY to send back your copy and get "Windows 8 64-bit OEM" I highly recommend you do so.

LICENSE TRANSFER:
I just found out that you can actually TRANSFER the OEM copy of Windows 8 to any new computer you build yourself. This can't be done with the OEM copy of Windows 7.

START8:
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Auztin069

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Thanks for all the help. I had to redownload the Win8 on the 32bit machine to get a the 32bit install.

I like the start8 think I'll download that after everything is running. Ok Microsoft refunded my purchase now i'm heading to Frys to buy Win8 64bit OEM full version not the upgrade $99 on DVD. Also getting a new network card since the one on the board doesn't like win8 I'm getting the Nvida nForce Network Controller failure even after I played around with the drivers. Nvida wedsite doesn't show much support for Win8. I'll probably just buy a new Netgear 10/100.

Auztin069

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Ok its done. Win8 64bit OEM reformatted then installed. I am using the Asus NX1101 gigabit PCI card and its working good. Lesson learned just go to Frys in the first place.

Network drivers:
I didn't notice in time, but you could have manually gotten the network drivers from your motherboard support site for the latest 64-bit Windows version and run those.

*You might as well DISABLE your motherboard network chip in the motherboard's BIOS though.

Doesn't matter now.

Jeffrey

I've read two Microsoft licensing pages and missed this. Can you point me to where this is documented? Thanks.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?
Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation. If available in your country or region, you can buy Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro from a participating retail store. You can also buy it online from the Microsoft Store in Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

Please note that the Windows 8 Pro Pack is used to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro, and isn't for cross-architecture installs and doesn't include any media. If you want to change architectures, buy Windows 8 Pro.

You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

The custom option as I originally pointed out is supposed to work and I have even done it myself. But he couldn't figure it out, so I didn't bother. I know it says you have to buy the dvd but if you have a 64bit system, you can download the 64bit upgrade from there instead and use it on the 32 bit system.