32bit windows instead of 64bit ?

game-source

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Hello,
My sister has a laptop HP Pavilion g4 with - 2 gb of ram - and an AMD processor. She complains it run slow and until, not long ago, i saw that she has a 64bit windows on a 2gb system. The requirements for 64bit is 2gb and for 32 1gb ram. + i have purchased a year ago windows 8.1 full edition with disks, one for 32 and one for 64bit PCs. Will the 32 bit disk work with the laptop and the same activation code used on my PC?

Solution

Changing the RAM is generally very, very easy. Usually, just one screw on the bottom for the access panel.

Bottom line, though...you can't use that same license for two machines at the same time.
And...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Will the 32 bit disk work with the laptop and the same activation code used on my PC?

Only if you remove it from your PC first.

There's no reason to change from 64-bit OS to a 32-bit OS. It's not going to speed things up at all. Your best bet would be to add more RAM to her system and do a little house cleaning. Uninstall any unused programs. Go into MSConfig and remove any programs that do not need to be started at boot time.

As always, you should also perform malware/virus scans regularly.

-Wolf sends

Not sure if the OEM key will work on the retail version.

what you should be able to do is install windows* with the key it came with and then change the key to the OEM key once windows is installed.

The key needs to be for the same version of windows8. If the laptop had Windows8 it will not work with Windows8 Pro.

I think you are better of adding more memory since part of the memory is used for the video card.

Also make sure to scan the system for malware.

USAFRet

Titan

If you're using that Win 8.1 on your machine, you can't use the same license on the other machine (laptop).
Even though 1 will be 32bit and the other 64bit....it's still the same license.

And going from 32bit to 64bit is a full wipe and reinstall. There is no easy change.

Much. much easier to just get more RAM for the laptop.

game-source

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Her windows is just regular- not pro or anything. All of you say add more ram but she can't afford that service for now + the price isn't the same as in the States or UK ( double it and then remove 2/3 of the average wage ) and so on. Also the ones changing the ram won't be going easy and will ask for unaffordable price just for the service. How can i check the code for the windows on the laptop as Emerald mentioned ? Changing the windows is my...her only bet. If performance or stability won't improve then i just wont do it.

USAFRet

Titan

Changing the RAM is generally very, very easy. Usually, just one screw on the bottom for the access panel.

Bottom line, though...you can't use that same license for two machines at the same time.
And changing it to 32bit probably won't change the performance. It is almost certainly something else. Too much junk running at the same time, malware, heavily fragmented drive.

I have an older Toshiba laptop with 2GB RAM, dualbooting Windows 7 64bit and Windows 1064bit. Previously, it was 7 and 8/8.1
It ran 'OK', if a little bit slow.

Solution
upgrading the ram is easier than putting the 32 bit version of windows but make sure that the ram is compatible with the laptop and make sure you can actually do this as some laptops are very hard to upgrade (ultrabooks).

As for checking the code, it should be on the disk when you bought the cd. Each one should have the code on the cd itself.