[SOLVED] 32GB -> 64GB upgrade?

SpinningFan

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
In February I built a new computer with Ryzen 5 3600, 2 sticks of 16GB RAM (this one https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232299?Item=N82E16820232299 ) on a Gigabyte x570 AORUS ELITE WIFI.

I'm running a lot of simulations and I analyze data and I discovered that I'd do better with 64GB of RAM, i.e. adding 2 more sticks, as currently I'm almost hitting the limit with Windows already running, Google Chrome tabs and Mathematica doing it's stuff.. With RAM being so cheap nowadays ($130 for 32GB), and me being satisfied with this so far, I was thinking about adding two more sticks. My thoughts:

• having 4 sticks is said to have an impact on performance, opposed to having 2 sticks. True?
  • my worry is that they got a new batch since January when I bought the first kit. Is this going to make the first two sticks incompatible with the second pair? Is this likely? Or if it's sold as the same "item", things like that shouldn't happen? I know that one shouldn't mix different brands etc. but I don't know how "strict" this rule is (sticks rolled out from the factory at a different times might not be compatible with each other?)
  • I already have one M.2 slot occupied by an SSD (Windows), and plan to occupy the second one with a "programs-only" SSD. Is adding more RAM sticks gonna affect functionality like this on a Gigabyte x570 Elite?

I see the same item is still being sold at a good price. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Solution
Ah, so you're saying that I should've clicked on the option 4x16GB in the very beginning, and that adding another 2x16GB now of the stuff I bought earlier might not be sufficient...
Buying another set of what you already have should work, but might not, or might be made to work with some adjustments.

If it works fine if it don't then you now have 2 sets that you can't use. Well you could still use 1 set.

It's always best to buy a tested matched set in the amount you need.

kanewolf

Titan
In February I built a new computer with Ryzen 5 3600, 2 sticks of 16GB RAM (this one https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232299?Item=N82E16820232299 ) on a Gigabyte x570 AORUS ELITE WIFI.

I'm running a lot of simulations and I analyze data and I discovered that I'd do better with 64GB of RAM, i.e. adding 2 more sticks, as currently I'm almost hitting the limit with Windows already running, Google Chrome tabs and Mathematica doing it's stuff.. With RAM being so cheap nowadays ($130 for 32GB), and me being satisfied with this so far, I was thinking about adding two more sticks. My thoughts:

• having 4 sticks is said to have an impact on performance, opposed to having 2 sticks. True?
  • my worry is that they got a new batch since January when I bought the first kit. Is this going to make the first two sticks incompatible with the second pair? Is this likely? Or if it's sold as the same "item", things like that shouldn't happen? I know that one shouldn't mix different brands etc. but I don't know how "strict" this rule is (sticks rolled out from the factory at a different times might not be compatible with each other?)
  • I already have one M.2 slot occupied by an SSD (Windows), and plan to occupy the second one with a "programs-only" SSD. Is adding more RAM sticks gonna affect functionality like this on a Gigabyte x570 Elite?
I see the same item is still being sold at a good price. Your thoughts? Thanks.
If you are going to have 4 sticks of RAM you should buy them as a single matched set of 4. Not two sets of 2 DIMMs. That will provide the most stability.

SpinningFan

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
If you are going to have 4 sticks of RAM you should buy them as a single matched set of 4. Not two sets of 2 DIMMs. That will provide the most stability.
Ah, so you're saying that I should've clicked on the option 4x16GB in the very beginning, and that adding another 2x16GB now of the stuff I bought earlier might not be sufficient...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Buying another set of what you already have should work, but might not, or might be made to work with some adjustments.

If it works fine if it don't then you now have 2 sets that you can't use. Well you could still use 1 set.

Solution

SpinningFan

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019

Pity I didn't know in the first place that I'd need that much :( come to think of it I'd totally appreciate more CPU threads to run more simulations in parallel.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Like I said if you buy the exact set you already have it should work but no guarantee. Might be made to work buy bumping the voltage up 0.02 or adjusting the secondary settings.

The thing is even buying the so called same exact set it could still be made with different parts.

I would put buying the same exact set and it working in the 85 to 90% area.

SpinningFan

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Like I said if you buy the exact set you already have it should work but no guarantee. Might be made to work buy bumping the voltage up 0.02 or adjusting the secondary settings.

The thing is even buying the so called same exact set it could still be made with different parts.

I would put buying the same exact set and it working in the 85 to 90% area.
So when I hear people say "oh nice, it has 4 RAM slots, so there's a room to upgrade", what they usually mean is "upgrade" i.e. buy an entirely new set of 4 sticks, not "upgrade" two with another two...

Okay, I guess I'll let it slide for now...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So when I hear people say "oh nice, it has 4 RAM slots, so there's a room to upgrade", what they usually mean is "upgrade" i.e. buy an entirely new set of 4 sticks, not "upgrade" two with another two...

Okay, I guess I'll let it slide for now...
Well yes and no like I said it should work but might not the people that say that usually have very little experience with working on , building, and upgrading PC's remember you can be a 10 year old kid and post anything you wish with 0 actual experience.

Their a ton of people that have added memory and everything works just fine. I have seen builds where they bought 4 individual sticks and work just fine.

SpinningFan

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Well yes and no like I said it should work but might not the people that say that usually have very little experience with working on , building, and upgrading PC's remember you can be a 10 year old kid and post anything you wish with 0 actual experience.

Their a ton of people that have added memory and everything works just fine. I have seen builds where they bought 4 individual sticks and work just fine.

Okay, thanks for your answers. By the way, when I want to check your build, pcpartpicker says "The completed build you have requested has been removed." I was just curious.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, thanks for your answers. By the way, when I want to check your build, pcpartpicker says "The completed build you have requested has been removed." I was just curious.
It's a older 4790K build it was removed for some reason or either the link stopped working. A ton of storage using both SSD's and regular drives, Red LED's with push buttons for the inside and outside LED's looks like eyeballs in a 5.25 case slot, (had 16GB of 2133 DDR3 memory and yes bought another set for 32GB and it worked after upping the voltage by 0.02, vintage Dell speakers painted red after replacing the sub woofer, 1070 video card, with both internal and external drive backup, also use a hot swap bay since I use my PC for work and gaming I also have a PC with a 2700X processor that I just use for rendering so I can continue working or switch for gaming instead of tying up my main PC.

Have not even looked at the link to see what is up.

SpinningFan

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
It's a older 4790K build it was removed for some reason or either the link stopped working. A ton of storage using both SSD's and regular drives, Red LED's with push buttons for the inside and outside LED's looks like eyeballs in a 5.25 case slot, (had 16GB of 2133 DDR3 memory and yes bought another set for 32GB and it worked after upping the voltage by 0.02, vintage Dell speakers painted red after replacing the sub woofer, 1070 video card, with both internal and external drive backup, also use a hot swap bay since I use my PC for work and gaming I also have a PC with a 2700X processor that I just use for rendering so I can continue working or switch for gaming instead of tying up my main PC.

Have not even looked at the link to see what is up.
Ah, very nice! Do you have any suggestionas to what CPU I should upgrade to for the best ratio of price/# of threads, while keeping a reasonable single-core performance (so I can game as well)? If this is too OT for this section, it's okay.