Question 32GB Boot 64GB NoBoot?????????

May 10, 2020
Hi guys

I just built a new PC for trading stocks:
AMD 3960x Threadripper,
ASUS TRX40 gaming mb,
Gskill F4=3200-C14Q-64GTZN (4 sticks 16 GB each identical copies of each other)
2 PNY geforce 2070super graphics

The problem I am having is the system will not boot with the full 64GB of ram installed but will boot with only 2 sticks ie 32GB. With 4 sticks installed per ASUS recommended slot config after trying to boot the MB immediately displays error code c5. There is no diagnosis for that code with ASUS so I don't know what to do.

The system will boot perfect with 2 sticks in the recommended 2 channel config. The default settings on the RAM are 2133mhz and 1.2V according to the bios. I boosted the voltage 1.35 and 3200mhz as per the RAM sticker speed config. Then I plugged the other 2 sticks into the rec config for 4 and the system will not boot. To eliminate the possibility of a bad RAM stick I removed one that was working fine and replaced with one of he 2 unplugged sticks to see if it would boot. The system booted fine so I did the same thing with the other stick. After this test I know all 3 ram sticks booted fine with only 2 total installed and leaving 1 stick in the same slot so that should mean all are presumably working fine, at least with only 1 partner stick.

The bios has been updated to the latest version. I did not change the CPU settings in the BIOS I think the default setting is 3.8mhz.

Do you have any suggestions for me to try? Thanks so much for your help!

May 10, 2020
Which ram slots did you use?
Try with 2133mhz first before jumping to 3200mhz.

I first tried with all 4 plugged into slots 4 and 2 if you count slots away from the processor. The fresh build should be the default 2133 That was the rec 4 slot config from the ASUS manual. It didn't boot so I took out the sticks in slot 4 and it booted. From there I was able to try the bios config settings and also got windows installed.

May 10, 2020
Update:

I contacted Asus and found out that the g.skill Ram I purchased is not on the list for the motherboard. I choose the g.skill ram in the first place because it was designed for AMD 3000 series CPU's, it had good performance according to the benchmark tests, and there were no conflicts with pcpartpicker. So thinking that the ram not on the list for the mb might be the issue I returned it and purchased ram that was.
CORSAIRCMK64GX4M4B3200C16(Ver4.31)4x 16GB32003200DS-16-18-18-361.351,2,4

I couldn't see on the website the version number so I took a gamble and bought the RAM with the correct model number. Now that I got it I can see on the sticks the version is 4.32 not 4.31. I tried the new ram anyways and have the identical problem will not boot with all 4 sticks.

Do you guys think that the incorrect version number would cause my issue? Do I have to go back to getting RAM again?

Oh boy this is frustrating