[SOLVED] 32GB PNY USB Device Descriptor Request Failed

Solution
I have a 32GB USB with data on it that I need recovered. I tried everything recommended here - https://www.techdim.com/fix-device-descriptor-request-failed-code-43/ but nothing is fixing it. The USB doesnt come up in Disk Management, Disk Drill (paid version) or Disk Genius (free). How can I recover this data?
Different USB ports, different PC.

If that fails, you may need to send this off to a specialized data recovery company.
And that may fail as well.

This is specifically what backups are for, and the only copy of data should never live on a flash drive.

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I have paid software - Disk Drill and its still not showing up. I am pretty tech savvy so I am willing to take it apart or do whatever a paid service will do.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 32GB USB with data on it that I need recovered. I tried everything recommended here - https://www.techdim.com/fix-device-descriptor-request-failed-code-43/ but nothing is fixing it. The USB doesnt come up in Disk Management, Disk Drill (paid version) or Disk Genius (free). How can I recover this data?
Different USB ports, different PC.

If that fails, you may need to send this off to a specialized data recovery company.
And that may fail as well.

This is specifically what backups are for, and the only copy of data should never live on a flash drive.

Solution

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I tried all different USB ports - same issue. I tried 3 other PCs with the same result.

What would a specialized data recovery service do that I cant do?

Its for a VIP client of mine. I know better and have tons of backups.

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
It doesnt look like Powershell sees it either. It found my printer.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> gwmi win32_diskdrive | where{$_.Interfacetype -eq "USB"}

Partitions : 0
DeviceID : \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
Model : EPSON Storage USB Device
Size :
Caption : EPSON Storage USB Device

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> gwmi win32_logicaldisk | where{$_.Drivetype -eq "2"}

DeviceID : F:
DriveType : 2
ProviderName :
FreeSpace :
Size :
VolumeName :

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_DiskDrive | where{$_.InterfaceType -eq 'USB'}

DeviceID Caption Partitions Size Model
-------- ------- ---------- ---- -----
\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 EPSON Storage USB Device 0 EPSON Storage USB Device

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_LogicalDisk | where{$_.DriveType -eq '2'}

DeviceID DriveType ProviderName VolumeName Size FreeSpace
-------- --------- ------------ ---------- ---- ---------
F: 2

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_LogicalDisk -ComputerName TestMachine | where{$_.DriveType -eq '2'}
Get-CimInstance : The WinRM client cannot process the request. If the authentication scheme is different from
Kerberos, or if the client computer is not joined to a domain, then HTTPS transport must be used or the destination
machine must be added to the TrustedHosts configuration setting. Use winrm.cmd to configure TrustedHosts. Note that
computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated. You can get more information about that by running the
following command: winrm help config.
At line:1 char:1
  • Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_LogicalDisk -ComputerName TestMachin ...
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotEnabled: (root\cimv2:Win32_LogicalDisk:String) [Get-CimInstance], CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x803380e4,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.GetCimInstanceCommand
+ PSComputerName : TestMachine

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I just called Salvage Data Recovery outside of Philly and they said itll be anywhere from $200-1200 but since its only 32GB it wont be on the high end. I might give that a shot, but I was trying to avoid that and keep it as cheap as possible.

USAFRet

Titan
I just called Salvage Data Recovery outside of Philly and they said itll be anywhere from $200-1200 but since its only 32GB it wont be on the high end. I might give that a shot, but I was trying to avoid that and keep it as cheap as possible.
We all understand 'cheap'.

But sometimes, things go beyond our capabilities.
Given that this is a "VIP client", you want to tread lightly.