[SOLVED] 32gb ram causing game freeze, bsod, gpu crashes

Sep 19, 2020
Hi. We are super noob on pc build.
When my son use 4 ram sticks (32gb total) of his Tforce xcalibur ram. His games freezes, crash, graphic card crash and BSOD.
But when he only use 2 ram sticks(16gb total), no crash or no issue is experienced.
Does this mean that using 4 ram sticks is not compatible with his built? Or does he need to set up his ram manually? Thank you

PC Specs:
TForce xcalibur 16gb 2x8gb 3600 (two kits)
Ryzen 5 3600
Msi Mag B550 Mortar
Zotac RTX 2060 twin fan 6gb
Corsair 750rm 80 gold
Samsung evo 860 250gb ssd
Seagate 2tb hdd

Ram stock Cas Latency = 18-22-22-42
Voltage - 1.35v

Bios reads (not on any xmp profile):
On 2 sticks:
Dram Frequency is 2400hz
Voltage: 1.26

On 4 sticks:
Dram Frequency is 3600hz

Both With timing config of:
Command rate - 1 (auto)
tCL - 16 (auto)
tRCDRD - 16 (auto)
tRCDWR - 16 (auto)
tTRP - 16 (auto)
tRAS - 39 (auto)

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Solution
That was the one suggested by the friends of my son. He originally had the 16gb/3600 kit. The shop did not mention that it has to be a kit of 4 sticks. We were not informed of the mismatch and qvl info.

Is it an overkill for his mobo/gpu to be using 32gb 3600? We’d be happy for any recommendations.

Thank you for helping us out. Slowly learning our way about this gaming pc.

For todays PCs you only need 16GB of RAM and at 3600Mhz you have plenty of performance , if you can achieve the rated frequency. You should be able to return the Kit and get a refund.

More RAM does not provide for more performance and does not increase frame rates fps.
Save the expense and put your money into something more beneficial. Your system will...

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Try swapping in the RAM sticks one at a time to check if they are actually working fine (when testing 2 sticks bear in mind to use slot 2&4) if that works perfectly fine, put in all RAM sticks and try to change the clock rate down to 3400mhz if it still crashes try to go lower in 200 steps (3600,3400,3200) go untill id say 2600mhz if it still crashes maybe try going for RMA.

Reactions: BigBarus
Sep 19, 2020
Try swapping in the RAM sticks one at a time to check if they are actually working fine (when testing 2 sticks bear in mind to use slot 2&4) if that works perfectly fine, put in all RAM sticks and try to change the clock rate down to 3400mhz if it still crashes try to go lower in 200 steps (3600,3400,3200) go untill id say 2600mhz if it still crashes maybe try going for RMA.

Thank you. Already did the ram sticks test. All are working fine. We will try to change the clockrate.

Have you updated your Bios and chipset?
Current version is 7C94v13.

I cannot find a kit of team TForce xcalibur 32gb 8x4 3600 listed on your QVL nor any listing of a single kit with those specs so therefor they have not been tested.
Did you combine two kits of (2x16) by any chance as you may have a mismatch.?

Please list the P/N of your RAM kit
Here is the QVL for your MB: https://pangoly.com/en/review/msi-mag-b550m-mortar/compatibility/ram
Can you find a listing?

Sep 19, 2020
Have you updated your Bios and chipset?
Current version is 7C94v13.

I cannot find a kit of team TForce xcalibur 32gb 8x4 3600 listed on your QVL nor any listing of a single kit with those specs so therefor they have not been tested.
Did you combine two kits of (2x16) by any chance as you may have a mismatch.?

Please list the P/N of your RAM kit
Here is the QVL for your MB: https://pangoly.com/en/review/msi-mag-b550m-mortar/compatibility/ram
Can you find a listing?

Hi. Bios updated to current version. Also did the combinations of the kits.

I could not find the P/N of the ram in pangoly compatible ram for mag B550.

ram P/N :
TF5D48G3600HC18JBK (the one on the stick)
TF5D416G3600HC18JDC01 (the one on the box)
T-Force Xcalibur RGB 16gb kit (2x8gb) DDR4 3600 General edition

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi. We are super noob on pc build.
When my son use 4 ram sticks (32gb total) of his Tforce xcalibur ram. His games freezes, crash, graphic card crash and BSOD.
But when he only use 2 ram sticks(16gb total), no crash or no issue is experienced.
Does this mean that using 4 ram sticks is not compatible with his built? Or does he need to set up his ram manually? Thank you

PC Specs:
TForce xcalibur 32gb 8x4 3600
Ryzen 5 3600
Msi Mag B550 Mortar
Zotac RTX 2060 twin fan 6gb
Corsair 750rm 80 gold
Samsung evo 860 250gb ssd
Seagate 2tb hdd

Ram stock Cas Latency = 18-22-22-42
Voltage - 1.35v

Bios reads (not on any xmp profile):
On 2 sticks:
Dram Frequency is 2400hz

On 4 sticks:
Dram Frequency is 3600hz

Both With timing config of:
Command rate - 1 (auto)
tCL - 16 (auto)
tRCDRD - 16 (auto)
tRCDWR - 16 (auto)
tTRP - 16 (auto)
tRAS - 39 (auto)

Thank you in advance
You are mixing 2 16 Gb kits. This is likely the problem.
This is the equivalent 32 Gb kit

TF5D432G3600HC18JDC01
and it is on the QVL for your motherboard.
Thus if possible RMA the 2 kits, and take the 32 Gb kit composed of 2 x 16 gb sticks

Sep 19, 2020
You are mixing 2 16 Gb kits. This is likely the problem.
This is the equivalent 32 Gb kit

TF5D432G3600HC18JDC01
and it is on the QVL for your motherboard.
Thus if possible RMA the 2 kits, and take the 32 Gb kit composed of 2 x 16 gb sticks

Big thank you. Now we understand. We bought 2 kits of 16gb (2x8gb).

We will swap the ram for the one you suggested. But i know the only available in his shop is 32gb kit (4x8gb) different brand but compatible with the mag b550. Would that be alright?

Big thank you. Now we understand. We bought 2 kits of 16gb (2x8gb).

We will swap the ram for the one you suggested. But i know the only available in his shop is 32gb kit (4x8gb) different brand but compatible with the mag b550. Would that be alright?
The simplest thing to do is to check the presence of the kit on the QVL for your motherboard which is here
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550M-MORTAR#support-mem-19
click on compatibility on the left, and then on Memory by RX3x00

Hi. Bios updated to current version. Also did the combinations of the kits.

I could not find the P/N of the ram in pangoly compatible ram for mag B550.

ram P/N :
TF5D48G3600HC18JBK (the one on the stick)
TF5D416G3600HC18JDC01 (the one on the box)
T-Force Xcalibur RGB 16gb kit (2x8gb) DDR4 3600 General edition

Thank you

Yes you have an obvious mismatch so return the kit you have added and get a 32GB kit. The reason being that kits are matched during manufacture to comparable latencies of differing DIMMs.

May I ask why you need 32GB at OC 3600MHz?

Sep 19, 2020
Yes you have an obvious mismatch so return the kit you have added and get a 32GB kit. The reason being that kits are matched during manufacture to comparable latencies of differing DIMMs.

May I ask why you need 32GB at OC 3600MHz?

That was the one suggested by the friends of my son. He originally had the 16gb/3600 kit. The shop did not mention that it has to be a kit of 4 sticks. We were not informed of the mismatch and qvl info.

Is it an overkill for his mobo/gpu to be using 32gb 3600? We’d be happy for any recommendations.

What is your son doing with the PC ? If only for usual internet / work / gaming, 16 Gb is perfect. If he uses several virtual machines or does very heavy video editing, 32 Gb can be handy.

For todays PCs you only need 16GB of RAM and at 3600Mhz you have plenty of performance , if you can achieve the rated frequency. You should be able to return the Kit and get a refund.

More RAM does not provide for more performance and does not increase frame rates fps.
Save the expense and put your money into something more beneficial. Your system will handle AAA games with max settings so if it's a gaming rig then spend the money on games.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 19, 2020
What is your son doing with the PC ? If only for usual internet / work / gaming, 16 Gb is perfect. If he uses several virtual machines or does very heavy video editing, 32 Gb can be handy.

He uses it for school ( currently online via zoom, google meet), internet, gaming.

I guess he just wants a 4 stick ram that he says is “nicer” :(

Thanks for the info. We are Learning a lot!

Sep 19, 2020

Save the expense and put your money into something more beneficial. Your system will handle AAA games with max settings so if it's a gaming rig then spend the money on games.

Very appreciative on all your explanations. All are noted. Thank you Thank you very much

4x8GB will usually not run at the rated spec past 2933-3466 on Ryzen systems depending on the CPU series, without tweaking settings and not using XMP/DOCP. You will need to manually set either looser timings, drop the speed by 200-400 or both. Try 3200 first or 3400-3466 at rated specs and 1.35v.