Question 32GB Ram installed, but only uses 16GB ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anhrak

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
Hey all,

A little over a year ago, I had built my own PC together with two of my friends. However, soon after we encountered a glaring problem, and I posted as such in a thread here:
"
Hello all,

So for the first time ever, two friends and I have assembled and built a computer with the following relevant components:

{RAM} G.Skill F4-2400C15Q-32GFT, 32GB {Four individual cards each of 8GB ram}
{Motherboard} MSI b350m Mortar
{CPU} Ryzen 5 1500x

Now ever since we've finished constructing the computer, we've only had trouble:

1.- Our first experience, which is still recurring, is constant boot loops. After a few attempts it works as normal, but this problem seems to persist, especially when we restart the Pc through our BIOS.
2.- The computer froze/crashed when installing an OS. Both through an USB drive, or an USB stick, both of these gave constant problems {solved.}
3.- BIOS didn't recognize the proper RAM size and speed {Partially solved.}
4.- The computer SEES 32Gb RAM, but it only has 16gb RAM available. After a long hassle of installing an Operating system, we saw that the other 16gb RAM is strangely 'reserved for hardware'?

Solutions we've tried;
  • Manually install the latest BIOS update. This solved point #2.
  • Switch order of the RAM cards.

At the moment, only the RAM is seeming to be behaving really weird. We can't pin-point yet if it's due to a faulty ram card, because the computer DOES see all the four cards {It sees on each slot which type there is, and it sees the full size of installed RAM}, it just holds two unavailable/inaccessible.

For the time being we're calling it a day, as the time is already running into the nightly hours, so we're looking for some other tips/ideas for trouble-shooting to run through when we meet again.
"

I'm saddened to say that even to this day, we have not found the solution. All we know is that all the slots work fine, all the cards work fine. The PC does SEE the 32GB ram, I just don't have access to it. Switching the cards from their slots gave no difference.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you inspected the CPU for bent/missing pins? Do you have the memory running at 2133 or 2400 (enabled via XMP)? Have you tested the RAM with an application like memtest?

If you install 16GB of memory, does all of it get recognized properly?

Anhrak

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
Yep. The slots and cards are all in operable condition. Everything was factory new so we definetly hoped that wouldn't be the cause. We tried various slots with just 2 cards of RAM and the computer sees 16GB of ram just like normal, no matter in which slots we had put them.

And yes, when we install only 2 of the 4 cards, the computer also still sees 16GB ram. Just not the 16GB "reserved for hardware" RAM. And yes, we did run Memtest over it as well. As again too, it sees the 32GB ram. It's just not useable.

As for the memory speed, I don't know to be honest? I'm not all too knowledgeable in those things, hence my two friends helped me set this up. This is what I can see:
6Wr5kA1.png
lrezGcu.png

But when I go to PC info, it shows this;
X5pW5DF.png

(Translated; "Installed RAM-memory 32,0 GB (16,0 GB available)" )

Last edited:
This f4-2400c15s-8gnt indicates you have 4 individual modules and this to me is your issue.
A single kit as you originally listed would read f4-2400c15s-32gnt
What this means is the modules have not been binned and matched. Slight variations in Latency during manufacture can cause a mismatch even though they are the same spec.
I suggest you try another single kit of RAM that are listed on the MB QVL and known to work.

Anhrak

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
Is the RAM your using a single kit of 32GB (4x8) or did you buy four separate modules.?

They are 4 cards all from the same provider, exact same model and stats.

Are you using integrated graphics? Go into BIOS and see if there is a setting to adjust the amount of RAM reserved for graphics.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

CPU-Z part number shows
f4-2400c15s-8gnt

not

f4-2400c15q-32gft

Do you have heat spreaders on them?

What?

This f4-2400c15s-8gnt indicates you have 4 individual modules and this to me is your issue.
A single kit as you originally listed would read f4-2400c15s-32gnt
What this means is the modules have not been binned and matched. Slight variations in Latency during manufacture can cause a mismatch even though they are the same spec.
I suggest you try another single kit of RAM that are listed on the MB QVL and known to work.

They are 4 cards of 8GB ram yes. However all ram cards are exactly the same, the same provider, same type, same speed and memory size. They're all DDR4-2400 (1200MHz) from G.Skill. The Speed tab that I showed is identical to each of the 4 slots.

What MeanMachine is asking is when you bought the RAM did you put a quantity of 4 in your cart, or a quantity of 1 because the item was a kit of 4? It is best to buy matched sets of RAM because even though specs are the same, in reality there are minor differences that the mobo can be sensitive to. That is why kits of 2 or 4 are sold as a set, because they are factory matched.

What I’m asking is did you install a graphics card?

BringerOfTea

Reputable
They are 4 cards of 8GB ram yes. However all ram cards are exactly the same, the same provider, same type, same speed and memory size. They're all DDR4-2400 (1200MHz) from G.Skill. The Speed tab that I showed is identical to each of the 4 slots.

you just answered the question yourself, If they are not bought as a Kit of four... there IS no guarantee that it will work together.

Anhrak

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
What MeanMachine is asking is when you bought the RAM did you put a quantity of 4 in your cart, or a quantity of 1 because the item was a kit of 4? It is best to buy matched sets of RAM because even though specs are the same, in reality there are minor differences that the mobo can be sensitive to. That is why kits of 2 or 4 are sold as a set, because they are factory matched.

What I’m asking is did you install a graphics card?

Oh, yes. an Nvidia 1070 series. And yes, like said below, the RAM was indeed bought as a kit of 4.

you just answered the question yourself, If they are not bought as a Kit of four... there IS no guarantee that it will work together.

I just had to check back at my order from more than a year ago. At first I wasn't really sure what you meant as a "kit", but I can confirm that all the ram was bought as one pack of 4 at once. No 4 separate cards.

Searching the web I see others have had the same problem where only half the RAM is usable, other half shows up but is not usable. Some have fixed it by merely shuffling the sticks around, or installing them one at a time, booting up after each additional stick is added.

You need to isolate and identify the source of the problem logically and systematically.

Have you tried a single stick of RAM in each slot? Organize the sticks on the table in a row, install the first one in the first slot, boot up, if successfully recognized shut down, remove it, then install the second stick in the second slot and repeat. If you encounter any problems with a single stick, you have narrowed the problem down to that stick OR that slot. At this point, move the stick to an adjacent slot and try again. If there is still a problem, it is with the stick, if no problem then the slot was the problem. Don’t stop testing the rest of the sticks if there are any still remaining, because technically you could have more than 1 bad stick or slot. Once you’ve tested them systematically like that, and if they all boot up and are recognized without a problem, you can move on to look at other things as the potential source of the problem.

Anhrak

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
Searching the web I see others have had the same problem where only half the RAM is usable, other half shows up but is not usable. Some have fixed it by merely shuffling the sticks around, or installing them one at a time, booting up after each additional stick is added.

You need to isolate and identify the source of the problem logically and systematically.

Have you tried a single stick of RAM in each slot? Organize the sticks on the table in a row, install the first one in the first slot, boot up, if successfully recognized shut down, remove it, then install the second stick in the second slot and repeat. If you encounter any problems with a single stick, you have narrowed the problem down to that stick OR that slot. At this point, move the stick to an adjacent slot and try again. If there is still a problem, it is with the stick, if no problem then the slot was the problem. Don’t stop testing the rest of the sticks if there are any still remaining, because technically you could have more than 1 bad stick or slot. Once you’ve tested them systematically like that, and if they all boot up and are recognized without a problem, you can move on to look at other things as the potential source of the problem.

Mhm. Our first course of action was checking if none of the cards and/or slots were faulty. As we described above, this turned out not the case. No matter what pattern we put the cards in, even when leaving a set out, it gives the same result. Each set works properly, and each slot recognizes the card.

One of my friends even made the weird remark "as if the motherboard or cpu can't utilize more than 16gb ram." but when we look at the specifications of the model DxDiag is seeing in the computer, they should be capable of even handling 64GB ram.

You wrote that you even left a set out. That means the other set wasn't tested by itself. Additionally, if you did not test a single slot at a time, then you did not test the RAM and the slots individually and completely. One slot, one RAM module, systematically. Sure they might be fine, but until you do the actual test as described you cannot rule out that there is a problem with individual modules and/or slots. If you don't find a problem after this procedure, then we can look elsewhere. BTW, it is likely the set is simply not compatible because it is not listed on any of these four RAM compatibility lists for your motherboard:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR#support-mem-11
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR#support-mem-13

I'm pretty sure I didn't see it there, but it's best to check those lists yourself because the advice is free and you get what you pay for ;)
Gotta run for now. Good luck...

Anhrak

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
With that I mean, we tested Set one in Slot A1 + B1, then in A2 + B2, then we tested Set 2 in A1 + B1, then A2+B2. Even just doing singles, all worked.

It is strange though because when we looked up on sites to check for compatibility (like here, too.), people said it DID work.

ColGeek has a great idea. Another thing you might want to try is to test the 4 sticks of RAM in a friend’s computer, if possible. If they are all recognized you have a couple of possibilities/options. Either they are incompatible with your mobo, or your mobo may be defective. If possible, test a friend’s 4 RAM sticks in your mobo. If you find that it is your RAM that is not compatible then an option for you might be to sell your RAM kit on ebay and buy a kit from the approved list. If it’s the mobo, then replace that component. Are you sure you’ve fully explored all the BIOS settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.