32GB Surface Leaves 16GB Storage Space Windows RT, Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
thats pretty hefty for an operating system with just a few programs installed .. ouch .. i was kinda interested in this until i saw this factor.. sure you can add a hard drive or something but dosnt that kinda defeat the purpose..

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
The amount of space occupied by system is to high, the available space is the only think that matter, and i belive that surface 32 must be renamed in surface 16, so any people can make the right coose when considering to buy a new tablet.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if it will accept a usb drive then there are some nice ssd enclosures that would be pretty cool i believe some can even be powered by the usb port so that is an option .. still that is nto nearly enough memory onboard, m$ srsly why you copy apple on the limited space and lots of money for a tiny bit of memory front

yialanliu

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Really shady tricks Microsoft. Apple and Android manufacturers do not include OS as part of the storage capacity.[/citation]
That's a lie, you never get 16 gb on an iphone, somethinglike 14.6 comes to mind...

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Who cares how much space is left, a 1TB external powered by usb, oh no... People say Windows is bloated because it's bigger than ios or droid, well, it's MUCH more mature and has been around for years longer, of course it has more functionality. (it does, truly) How much storage is left after an operating system install is the dumbest argument ever. How do you expect things to work if it was a 256MB install? Oh wait, 1989 called and wants their operating system advertisements back..

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
That's ridiculous. I hope they disclose this information on the box otherwise, I would think that saying the system has that much storage capacity is misleading. Technically true, but the average user will be shocked when they see half of it gone so fast.

saltorio

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Wow! My newly purchased Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB tablet had nearly 26 GB free. Way to go Microsoft... you can't even un-bloat Windows for mobile devices.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]saltorio[/nom]Wow! My newly purchased Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB tablet had nearly 26 GB free. Way to go Microsoft... you can't even un-bloat Windows for mobile devices.[/citation]
I agree, it puzzling how MS can do well on the WP8 but not on RT....

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
You all realize that Windows RT is full blown Windows just re-coded for ARM processors architecture. Look at how much space a normal Windows 7 install + Office 2012 + some normal apps. You will get about the same space being utilized.

Plus who cares, you have a full USB port with full driver support for USB drives, Skydrive (up to 100GB+) and SDXC slot which can now take up to 128GB card. You already have options that kill most Android tablets and all iPad's.

You also cannot compare iOS or Android to Windows RT because both iOS and Android are not full blown OS's. They are basic utility OS that have been built for a specific purpose and that is why they are only 1GB in size.

Also to answer the question about deleting the Recovery tools. The answer is Yes/No you can but if you ever need to reload or factory restore Windows RT your screwed. You cannot buy Windows RT and reload it since it is only sold to OEM's and ODM's. So the option to remove the recovery tools is there but it is really not in your best interest to do so.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I do wish tablet and phone manufacturers would include a separate bit of flash memory exclusively for the OS. That wouldn't be too expensive for Android/iOS-based products (considering their smallish footprint), but I guess that extra ~13GB of NAND would hurt Microsoft-et-al's margins a bit more.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]I agree, it puzzling how MS can do well on the WP8 but not on RT....[/citation]

Windows Phone 8 may share the same Kernel and base code as Windows 8, but it is a basic utility OS built for a specific purpose, A Phone. Just like iOS and Android is. Just like I said in my previous comment, you can not compare Windows RT to iOS or Android because it is a Full Blown OS that has been re-coded for ARM.

superboy2k

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Android/ios have built in support and driver for ALL EXISTING HARDWARE ? Stop talking bullshit and FUD and speaking about bloating. Try expand memory on your Ios/nexus device with SD :D

im messing around with one of these babys at work (well an ASUS Vivo Tab RT) and its the best thing ever, on one side you have the full touch screen os, news and everything else like every other apple/android device, BUT then you can access networks (my file server), do proper file management, remote desktop, you start to forget its a ARM based tablet (aside from not running executable etc)

Its now connected to my server through my computer -- can you have access to 12+tb of data from your apple/android device EASILY? I think not.

Not a MS fanboy but when it comes down to it, this thing works.

obsama1

Distinguished
You get the USB and SD card slot, so this is a moot point. Don't forget that you get a better OS, and Office 2010, which will blow any mobile suite out of the water.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]That's ridiculous. I hope they disclose this information on the box otherwise, I would think that saying the system has that much storage capacity is misleading. Technically true, but the average user will be shocked when they see half of it gone so fast.[/citation]

Do PC manufacturers disclose how much space is left on their systems after an OS install?
No. So how is it ever misleading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS