32nm and 28nm processors... what does this mean for us?

G

these processors... released by Intel (32nm and 28nm) and AMD (28nm)... does that mean we'll have to buy new motherboards and ram? Will there be a new socket? etc etc

sorry i'm a noob... :p

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
lol don't worry about that they won't come out for a while (especially the 28nm) and no it does not mean that you would have to change your mobo since the only thing changing is the manufacturing process on the die not the pins, such changes will provide room for more improvements and new features as well as alot more overclocking room as well and reduce heat production and in some cases power consumption as well but no you would not necessarily have to buy new ram or mobo

G

whew... ok that's good news :p

as reported in the other thread... a clarkdale is already out (wtf... i thought it was called westmere... anyways)

i guess to use these 32nm and 28nm cpus, you'll have to upgrade your bios? is that the only change or...

G

i just heard on another thread, amd might come out with Socket G or something for the 28nm cpus? ...which implies am3 people will have to upgrade :O

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
If you have a machine using 65nm or 45nm, there isn't much reason you would want to swap CPU's. The new processors will use less energy and produce less heat, so they will be good for laptops. I don't know if they will have advantages for overclocking but they might. Intel is supposed to make i7's with 32nm so those might be easier to overclock without producing too much heat.

these processors... released by Intel (32nm and 28nm) and AMD (28nm)... does that mean we'll have to buy new motherboards and ram? Will there be a new socket? etc etc

sorry i'm a noob... :p

It probably means the transistors will be even smaller :D

Actually it means a bigger transistor budget, ergo more cache, cores, etc.

Also, despite the hoo-rah from AMD and IBM about 32nm CPUs coming out "real soon now", I believe they will have to go to HKMG like Intel did on 45nm, and so there will be a learning curve. From what I've read, HKMG is a much bigger deal than immersion. AMD's previous set of Rand-McNally Road Maps showed them starting 32nm in the 2nd half of 2010, and probably not available until Q1 2011. Maybe they folded the map in half??

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Dirk Meyer's been doing good work so far. Since he took the lead we've gotten: Phenom II (excellent, when you consider it's just been a process shrink and that it came from Phenom 1), HD 4k series (especially pricing... I think he was top dog when they appeared), and likely the first 40nm GPU.

I wouldn't put it past AMD, if they continue their current trends.

Dirk would be so please you said that.

His PA has probably already printed the thread and placed it in his intray to show Bruce when he gets in.

Pushing $3.57 now and market cap is up to 2.38 B ... things are looking better for the green team.

Lets hope their next GPU tapes out and the engineers can get more IPC out of their latest Phenom derivatives ... thought I don't think they can improve it much until they sort out the cache latency issues.

The DDR3 thing is a bit of a fizzer otherwise.