[SOLVED] 34" 1080p UW or 28" 4K 16:9?

Raxex

Honorable
May 27, 2014
Hey! I am getting new GPU so I am thinking about upgrading my old 22" fhd monitor. My budget isn't huge but currently I am thinking between LG 34UM58-P 34" which is 34" 2560x1080 ultrawide and Acer KG281Kbmiipx, which is 28" 4K classic 16:9 monitor. I really like 34" ultrawide screen but I am concerned about resolution. To specify use I sometime play games, watch netflix or movies in general, youtube etc. Later on it will be used for some work aswell when I will be on homeoffice. Thanks for your tips tho!

Solution
This is where it comes down most likely to an eyeballs issue.

If there's a store anywhere within a semi-reasonable distance that has a variety of monitors on display, and you can check them out in person, I'd STRONGLY recommend it.

You may decide that 4K is a must-have for you - or, it might turn out that a lower resolution with max details would look more comfortable for your eyes. Or, for the same 28" monitor, you may see one at 2560x1440 (standard widescreen 16:9) looks great.

It can also be a matter of the monitor's display quality. One monitor of a give size and resolution may look far better than another of the same size and resolution.

And what I like may agree with your eyes, or may not. Another example, I...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What GPU are you getting?

I would STRONGLY recommend 1080p ultrawide over 4K 16:9, because:

1 - I really love ultrawide
and
2 - at 8,294,400 pixels for 4K vs 2.764,800 pixels for ultrawide 1080p (ie: 2560x1080), the demands that 4K would put on a video card for gaming would require something on the order of a GTX 1080Ti, 2080, or 2080Ti to play modern AAA games with max details.

Do you already have a specific video card in mind? That might help in monitor selection - also on whether it's worth it to get a FreeSync (for AMD) monitor with LFC, vs a Gsync (for Nvidia) monitor.

Raxex

Honorable
May 27, 2014
1070ti I usually dont play high demanding games(league of legends, fortnite, ocasionally some new game) and if I play something in 4k í wouldnt mind medium details or so.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is where it comes down most likely to an eyeballs issue.

If there's a store anywhere within a semi-reasonable distance that has a variety of monitors on display, and you can check them out in person, I'd STRONGLY recommend it.

You may decide that 4K is a must-have for you - or, it might turn out that a lower resolution with max details would look more comfortable for your eyes. Or, for the same 28" monitor, you may see one at 2560x1440 (standard widescreen 16:9) looks great.

It can also be a matter of the monitor's display quality. One monitor of a give size and resolution may look far better than another of the same size and resolution.

And what I like may agree with your eyes, or may not. Another example, I know I liked 1920x1080 on a 27" monitor, and my son's 34" 2560x1080 (LG 34UC79G) I believe looks fantastic. Some agree, others think those monitors were too big for those resolutions.

It gets extremely subjective when you get down to some of the details.

Solution