Question 3400G Compatible boards and other questions

DESOUL

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hi guys,

My friend asked to help him build a PC, however i'm having a bit of trouble picking out the MB.
  • CPU : Ryzen 3400G
  • MB : AM4 ASROCK B450M PRO4
  • RAM : x2 DDR4 8GB 3000MHz KINGSTON HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3/8
Will the board and rams work well together? I've seen some posts where it looks like unless you flash the bios, the motherboard won't boot up the system.

Also checked the QL list for the board and seems this memory should be supported, however are memory sticks that aren't on the list able to support higher speeds as well? Or they might - but just aren't tested?

Also one more question would be - how much power PSU would be recommended to run a 3400G that you plan to add a GPU later on to?

Other possible alternatives available for us are the :
AM4 ASUS PRIME B450M-A B450
ASROCK B450 PRO4 B450
ASROCK B450M STEEL LEGEND B450
GIGABYTE B450 GAMING X B450

And there are others but the price is starting to go a bit too high for a simple AB450 motherboard.

Any advice is appreciated

WildCard999

Titan
The budget is around 100-140$ - country is republic of Moldova
So any of those boards will work as long as the BIOS has been updated enough to use the 3rd gen CPU. If your not sure then contact the retailers. Another option are the MSI B450 MAX boards, they've been updated to use the 3rd gen out of the box and there are some MSI B450 boards that have a BIOS update button feature that allows you to update the BIOS without the CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

As for a PSU with a good GPU later on look for a good quality 550W unit. "Budget" would be the grey label Corsair CX/M or a much better unit would be the Seasonic Focus Gold.

DESOUL

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
So any of those boards will work as long as the BIOS has been updated enough to use the 3rd gen CPU. If your not sure then contact the retailers. Another option are the MSI B450 MAX boards, they've been updated to use the 3rd gen out of the box and there are some MSI B450 boards that have a BIOS update button feature that allows you to update the BIOS without the CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

As for a PSU with a good GPU later on look for a good quality 550W unit. "Budget" would be the grey label Corsair CX/M or a much better unit would be the Seasonic Focus Gold.

I've talked to the retailer that we're going to order the board and everything from and he said it won't be a problem to update the bios.

So now it comes down to quality - which of them would be a good pick - with decent cooling, vrms', ect so the board doesn't just croack mid-use with only a CPU on it

DESOUL

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
From the choices you've listed I'd get the Asrock B450 Steel Legend. It's a good quality board and I've never had issues with Asrock from previous experiences.
So i've found:
ASRock sAM4 B450_PRO4, B450 4DD R4 2PCIex16 M.2 TypeC ATX B450 PRO4
ASRock B450 Steel Legend

Also by this tier list that i've googled up

It says that the B450 PRO4 is slightly better VRM wise than the Steel Legend.

And price wise, the PRO4 is 20$ cheaper than the Legend, any thoughts?

WildCard999

Titan
So i've found:
ASRock sAM4 B450_PRO4, B450 4DD R4 2PCIex16 M.2 TypeC ATX B450 PRO4
ASRock B450 Steel Legend

Also by this tier list that i've googled up

It says that the B450 PRO4 is slightly better VRM wise than the Steel Legend.

And price wise, the PRO4 is 20$ cheaper than the Legend, any thoughts?
Grab the Pro4, didn't see that the Steel Legend is 6 power phase & the Pro4 is 9.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Personally if you are planning on getting a gpu in the future buying an apu now is a waste of money.
Although prices may be different for you but I feel it would be a better idea to get a 2600 which have dropped in price recently to lower than 3400g and then just try and get a second hand gpu on the cheap to use until you can upgrade, something like a 760ti etc are cheap on the used market plus you can always sell it and put the money towards a better gpu in the future.

DESOUL

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Personally if you are planning on getting a gpu in the future buying an apu now is a waste of money.
Although prices may be different for you but I feel it would be a better idea to get a 2600 which have dropped in price recently to lower than 3400g and then just try and get a second hand gpu on the cheap to use until you can upgrade, something like a 760ti etc are cheap on the used market plus you can always sell it and put the money towards a better gpu in the future.
Performance wise it wouldn't make a huge difference in FPS if you upgrade later to a performance GPU.

Maybe 4-5fps at the most between the stronger/lesser ryzen CPU