[SOLVED] 3440*1440 gpu upgrade assistance

elgreco

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Hi all.
Need some GPU decision help.
Have been running a 4790k and two GTX 970s in SLI for some time without too many complaints.

However recently I invested in one of the 120MHz Dell Alienware 34inch ultrawides. Beautiful screen, but it's punishing my GPUs. I'm playing almost all AAA new games at low settings.
Obviously it's not the end of the world, but it does grate on me. Especially since I just bought RDR2 which I'm actually terrified to launch in case the visuals disappoint me.

So, the question is, what do i do now.....
I really, really, really hate the idea of coughing up 1300-1500eur for a 2080 ti, but am willing to do so if I feel it makes sense. At the moment, I'm just not sure it does. Rumours of the RTX 30XX launch by end of year, plus potential Big Navi to coincide with the launch of the PS5 and new Xbox have got me hesitating.

I was thinking 2070 Super, but they're around 600eur and I'm not sure bump in frame rate will be that much better. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will improve, but will it be 600eur worth of improvement... I'm not so sure.

I've even checked ebay and found a 450eur GTX 1080ti which I was thinking of as a stop gap solution. But again, it's 450eur.... it's not cheap.

So.... i'm turning to you ladies and gents for help in talking me through the thought process. If anyone has any thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

PS. I'm aware that there is another option, which is to stay put on my 970s and suck it up for another 6-7 months.....

Solution
Hi all.
Have been running a 4790k and two GTX 970s in SLI for some time without too many complaints.

However recently I invested in one of the 120MHz Dell Alienware 34inch ultrawides. Beautiful screen, but it's punishing my GPUs. I'm playing almost all AAA new games at low settings.
Obviously it's not the end of the world, but it does grate on me. Especially since I just bought RDR2 which I'm actually terrified to launch in case the visuals disappoint me.

I really, really, really hate the idea of coughing up 1300-1500eur for a 2080 ti, but am willing to do so if I feel it makes sense. At the moment, I'm just not sure it does. Rumours of the RTX 30XX launch by...
Hi all.

I really, really, really hate the idea of coughing up 1300-1500eur for a 2080 ti, but am willing to do so if I feel it makes sense. At the moment, I'm just not sure it does. Rumours of the RTX 30XX launch by end of year, plus potential Big Navi to coincide with the launch of the PS5 and new Xbox have got me hesitating.

I was thinking 2070 Super, but they're around 600eur and I'm not sure bump in frame rate will be that much better. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will improve, but will it be 600eur worth of improvement... I'm not so sure.

I've even checked ebay and found a 450eur GTX 1080ti which I was thinking of as a stop gap solution. But again, it's 450eur.... it's not cheap.

So.... i'm turning to you ladies and gents for help in talking me through the thought process. If anyone has any thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

PS. I'm aware that there is another option, which is to stay put on my 970s and suck it up for another 6-7 months.....

Looking online this video is quite helpful:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sm326m22_E

Essentially you are looking at GTX 1070 TI performance from 2 x 970's (at least in supported games). Also keep in mind SLI isn't supported by the newer api's (i.e. DX12 / Vulkan) so in those titles going to a single card would be a much bigger jump as you are limited to just 1 gpu.

This page from Techpowerup's review of the RX 5600XT covers pretty much all current graphics cards in relative terms:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5600-xt-pulse/27.html

You can see to get a worthwhile upgrade you do need to be looking around an RTX 2070 or RX 5700 series card (again though I think there are added benefits of wider game support and also you avoid stutter issues that are a problem in some titles when using dual gpus).

Reactions: elgreco
Solution