$35 Raspberry Pi Model B Sold Out Within Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Interesting that it sold so quickly given it's size and specs.[/citation]
It's only $35, so even at those specs it's worth dropping a few bucks to get something new to toy with. At least for me it's something I can use to start messing with for coding or Ubuntu TV :)

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
-USB means Bluetooth dongle
-Bluetooth means wireless keyboard and mouse
-Wireless keyboard and mouse means my TV just got a whole lot more awesome

ansemx324

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Although the specs don't seem very impressive, it can handle 1080p video and it can use xbmc, so for $35 its perfect for that use. Also at only 5 watts that is plenty to run a simple home file server at less than $10/year for power, and I'm sure there are endless uses for something so inexpensive with such little power requirements!

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Finally a device that is reasonable to run stuff like a linux firewall / router, Roku clone, run embedded linux OS and list goes on and on all for around $35!!

Sign me up for a couple.

G

If people use Pi to build a media player, aren't you need to buy DTS license for that?

nickwalters

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Handling fee makes it sound a little hokey. The Twitter post you speak of has a comment where another person claimed $20 for shipping....which from the UK isn't so bad. I'm very much looking forward to getting one for extremely low power computing. Get a low cost 10" HDMI TV with built in battery and a USB port that is usually for hooking up media, and instead use it to power the computer, then attach a very small solar power system, and suddenly you have an inexpensive computer for "normal" use that never uses any mains power. Right now the majority of my electrical use is from a laptop and 4 watt LED light bulb. If I switch to this I'm cutting my usage by amazing amounts!

Also consider if the production ramps up and it gets cheaper....what about racks of these as huge inexpensive cloud computers.

cancer2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Carputer anyone?
Raspberry Pi + Digital Picture Frame + touch membrane + phone charger = Carputer
What is really nice is the Bluetooth capabilities, you can use your smartphone to interact with it.
I think this is great material for a project.

nickwalters

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Small update on $20 charge. I've read a letter from newark stating they will be re-funding the $20 charge, and that it was a mistake in their system, so I'm guessing this wasn't for shipping as I'd guessed.

The question still remains of where the 10,000 units went from the first batch. I've tried to find anyone stating they got in on buying a unit from the first batch and haven't seen one report. I vlog'd on youtube hoping to find anyone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5DQXM88Tc8

Also it's been said at first there would only be orders of 1 unit allowed until major manufacturing could gear up, and people have already stated that pre-sales(for second batch I guess) have allowed the order of multiple units....what's up with that?

nickwalters

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]what do you need to make this work...Power adapter?Case?Persistent storage?[/citation]

You've got it basically. It comes with everything you need except storage, keyboard, mouse, power, and monitor. It can hookup to older TV's via an RCA connector, or to a HDTV or monitor via HDMI. It has USB ports for connection of KB/Mouse(or other things with a hub). It has a 1/8" jack for sound. A jack for power, which in diff versions has either been mini-USB or a jack, and I'm unsure what the final version uses Lastly it has an ethernet port for networking. All in a package the size of a credit card. Onboard it has 256mb of ram, CPU, GPU, USB, Ethernet and Sound. Storage can be installed either through a SD slot or by using a USB thumb drive.

philipmach

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
The US site adding $20 for shipping is pointless, since there's a US distributor who will sell it to you at the normal price and I doubt it would cost $20 to send using UPS, e.g.: http://www.alliedelec.com/RaspberryPi/

Anyone who thinks this is a UK-sourced product obviously hasn't been paying attention to the launch announcement.

philipmach

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
[citation][nom]nickwalters[/nom]You've got it basically. It comes with everything you need except storage, keyboard, mouse, power, and monitor. It can hookup to older TV's via an RCA connector, or to a HDTV or monitor via HDMI. It has USB ports for connection of KB/Mouse(or other things with a hub). It has a 1/8" jack for sound. A jack for power, which in diff versions has either been mini-USB or a jack, and I'm unsure what the final version uses Lastly it has an ethernet port for networking. All in a package the size of a credit card. Onboard it has 256mb of ram, CPU, GPU, USB, Ethernet and Sound. Storage can be installed either through a SD slot or by using a USB thumb drive.
[/citation]

All models use micro-USB for power, on the assumption that you can find a cell phone charger easily that fits the spec. Although you can use a USB drive, it has to boot off SD flash.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
XBMC Live installed on an SD card
USB A to USB mini, one end in the service port on the TV, other end in the Pi
Small USB extension with an IR receiver on the end
Network cable in the back from my wired network
Stick it on the back of the TV in the bedroom, with the IR receiver visible from the front, all media is streamed through the network and my bedroom TV is now a full-fledged media centre
Same applies to every other TV in the house, in the study, the kitchen, all the bedrooms, even with accessories could probably kit the whole house out for less than $200

nickwalters

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
thanks for the heads up philip. I was looking at the datasheet, and the USB is built into the main chip of the Pi, so if anyone doesn't need ethernet, the A model might be quite a steal if you either solder on the second port, or use a hub. I personally use only wifi for networking in my home, and in general, so I'm really looking forward to the A model now that it will come with 256mb just like the B model.

Status
Not open for further replies.