[SOLVED] 3500x not posting with Asus Crosshair VII mobo

mcqualityb

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018
Hi,

I am putting together a PC build using a mix of old and new parts for a friend and the system won't post.

CPU: Ryzen 3500x (new)
MOBO: Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi (Used)
GPU: Nvidia Gefore GTX 1080 (used)
RAM: Crucial 2133mhz DDR4 (4 16gb sticks/used)
PSU: EVGA 600 BR 80+ Bronze (new)

I flashed the bios to the most recent version using the flashback tool since we didnt have a supported CPU to use. It looked like the bios should have flashed correctly, but when I power up the system it won't post. I am getting a 0d code and the CPU debug led is on. All of the fans including the CPU fan are running. The only thing I can think of is maybe the PSU is not supplying enough power for the CPU. The PSU does not have the extra 4 pin connector for the CPU power on the MOBO.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Any PSU made in the last 12-15 years should have an ATX12V CPU PWR connector, if not two of them... (possibly, you have the 8 pin, but not the 4 pin? If so, that should be ok)

It certainly is not going to work with no CPU PWR connected....

If a modular PSU cable, find the correct cable, string it from the PSU to the top of the mainboard, and connect it.
Any PSU made in the last 12-15 years should have an ATX12V CPU PWR connector, if not two of them... (possibly, you have the 8 pin, but not the 4 pin? If so, that should be ok)

If a modular PSU cable, find the correct cable, string it from the PSU to the top of the mainboard, and connect it.

Last edited:
Solution
Any PSU made in the last 12-15 years should have an ATX12V CPU PWR connector, if not two of them...

I think the op means it doesn't have the extra 4 pin in addition to the 8 pin required on some boards

This shouldn't be an issue.

mcqualityb

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018
I think the op means it doesn't have the extra 4 pin in addition to the 8 pin required on some boards

This shouldn't be an issue.
The PSU is not modular and only has the 8 pin power connector for the CPU.

I tried reseating the CPU and took out all but 1 stick of RAM. I rebooted and got the same 0d code with the CPU debug light on but it switched to an 8 code with the CPU light. The 8 code according to the manual is insufficient CPU power.

The previous set up I used with this mobo used an evga supernova g3 550W PSU that had the 8 pin plus the extra 4 pin with a ROG strix 1070ti and a ryzen 7 2700x. I am going to try swapping out a PSU with the extra 4 pin and see if that works

TRENDING THREADS