[SOLVED] 3570k CPU Speeds

Jimmy_830

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
I have a 8yr old PC I built as of last year I’ve had a lot of issues with it locking up and freezing, then cpu maxing out 100%. Well after buying a back up drive to save my valuable content. I did a full Reinstall of Windows 10. Locking up went away, so I started gaming more on it. I went into bios and XMP but it would not post anymore kept turning on and off till finally it reset and came on again. I was reading how some ppl tried reinstalling the bios with a thumb stick did that and bios let me XMP and run profile 1 I’m at 4.0ghz on my 3570k I-5. I wanted to upgrade but money wise thinking of staying with my 8yr old pc. I was wondering if would be good to stay with my cpu and upgrade my graphic card to a 2060 or 2060 super
-Asus P8Z77-V
-Intel i-5 3570K
-SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133
-Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
-Corsair 750watts
-Nvidia 1060gb 6gb

Solution
I have a 8yr old PC I built as of last year I’ve had a lot of issues with it locking up and freezing, then cpu maxing out 100%. Well after buying a back up drive to save my valuable content. I did a full Reinstall of Windows 10. Locking up went away, so I started gaming more on it. I went into bios and XMP but it would not post anymore kept turning on and off till finally it reset and came on again. I was reading how some ppl tried reinstalling the bios with a thumb stick did that and bios let me XMP and run profile 1 I’m at 4.0ghz on my 3570k I-5. I wanted to upgrade but money wise thinking of staying with my 8yr old pc. I was wondering if would be good to stay with my cpu and upgrade my graphic card to a 2060 or 2060 super
-Asus...

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
An i5-3570K at stock clocks should be running into some bottlenecks with a 2060 Super. At 4Ghz, it seems to be getting pretty tight to the clock(haha, see what I did there). I feel as though it should handle a 2060, but a 2060S is hard to reach. I'm sure you can overclock your CPU a little higher, assuming good VRMs on the mobo and a good cooler(both of which you have). Take a look at Ampere CPUs first though. Luckily, Z77 has PCIe Gen3, so good for you! I love the economical choices. I feel as though this will serve you the best. Not a real expert on this, just do some more research. If you could do some sort of benchmark to test how good your CPU is @ 4ghz and compare the score to a non-overclocked CPU, you can get a good sense of what sort of bottlenecks you could run into based on how that compared CPU does. Finding an accurate benchmark for gaming will be tought tho

Jimmy_830

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
I’m new to over clocking, I’ve tried in the past and had issues but since. I went ahead and really put my effort into fixing the issues with the software and bios. Then started working where I could do it. I went to 4 to be safe. If I can get a little more out of it safely be fine. I played some hit man 2 with it after OC and turned on Ultra settings. 60fps the occasional dip to 55. CPU was running the hardest from the monitor I had. 60-100% depending but the game looked great. I saw the cyber punk 2077 and really considering getting for pc. Temp wise I’ve never gone over 60c and my Corsair can manually be turned up one more setting.

Jimmy_830

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
Another reason I was thinking 2060s is if I upgrade my pc down the road. I’m looking at upgrading later to a 570x board Asus with 3600x AMD
Or i5-9600k with Z390 Gigabyte

-Asus P8Z77-V
-Intel i-5 3570K
-SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133
-Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
-Corsair 750watts
-Nvidia 1060gb 6gb

Ok, so I used to have a i5 3570 (non-K) + GTX 1060 6GB, and I can say that my i5 already limited what the GTX 1060 could achieve. I do not believe the 3570K would be any diferent (depending on the particular game). Then I got an RTX 2070 and yeah, it was worst. Don't get me wrong AVG FPS went up a little bit, but nothing huge considering the upgrade I made, and the 1% low were still crappy.
It was worlds apart when I put the Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 togheter.

A 4 cores CPU depending on the specific game you are trying just wont be enough.

I had this issues with the likes of SOTR and Battlefield 5, but yeah all problems were gone when I put the R5 3600, I even saw a nice bump in 1% low on ETS 2 (Euro Truck Simulator 2) which is really not a very intensive game CPU wise.

Anyways I do not know what resolution or what kind of games you are trying to play but the GTX 1060 is a very capable card for 1080p.
I did the switch to the RTX 2070 because I was moving to a 1440p panel, so the extra horse power was need it to keep the settings on Ultra.

Last edited:
Solution

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
I think that you could consider going for an i7-3xxx if you run into bottlenecking with the i5-3570K. RodroX was probably right that there is a high risk of bottlenecking. However, an overclocked i5-3570K should be around 20% better than an i5-3570. An article that I skimmed over said that you can expect a 4.5Ghz overclock out of an i5-3570K fairly easily. He could've meant as more of a competition overclock, not prolonged overclocking though.

Reactions: RodroX
I think that you could consider going for an i7-3xxx if you run into bottlenecking with the i5-3570K. RodroX was probably right that there is a high risk of bottlenecking. However, an overclocked i5-3570K should be around 20% better than an i5-3570. An article that I skimmed over said that you can expect a 4.5Ghz overclock out of an i5-3570K fairly easily. He could've meant as more of a competition overclock, not prolonged overclocking though.

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention it, the i5 3570K with some overclock should be better than my old non-k cpu and OP will get some extra performance but theres a point where the 4 cores become the limiting factor, not the frecunecy.
I guess it all depend on the game, fast 4 cores/4threads are enough for some titles, for others its just not enough if you wana get everything the new GPU may be able to deliver.

Last edited:

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Yes, sorry I forgot to mention it, the i5 3570K with some overclock should be better than my old non-k cpu and OP will get some extre performance but theres a point where the 4 cores become the limiting factor, not the frecunecy.
I guess it all depend on the game, fast 4 cores/4threads are enough for some titles, for others its just not enough if you wana get everything the new GPU may be able to deliver.
Absolutely correct

Jimmy_830

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
Thanks for the insight guys, I went ahead bummed to 4.2 and I’m running under 50c but I don’t want to push it any harder for reliability reasons. I’ll prob stay with my setup now and invest in upgrade I like Intel but cost wise AMD is good. I built my brother a Ryzen 5 pc and he loves it he’s running a 1080

Reactions: RodroX

Jimmy_830

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
Right now I only have a few games as I was playing my Xbox one x. I quit playing as much and have started doing more pc games. Hitman 1-2, Mx Bikes, Arma, looking at a action game to play with somebody’s, also looking at the avengers game and cyber punk

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Right now I only have a few games as I was playing my Xbox one x. I quit playing as much and have started doing more pc games. Hitman 1-2, Mx Bikes, Arma, looking at a action game to play with somebody’s, also looking at the avengers game and cyber punk
I like to have HWMonitor(made by CPUID) open in the background when I play games. In between rounds, I just look in the "max" column to see what the highest temp my CPU and my GPU reached.

Jimmy_830

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
Ok I will download that, I use to have the asus monitor for my pc but when I had to reset my system cause of bad software it got deleted and the dl won’t work for the AI Suite anymore

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Ok I will download that, I use to have the asus monitor for my pc but when I had to reset my system cause of bad software it got deleted and the dl won’t work for the AI Suite anymore
It can also show the usage of both the CPU and GPU(as well as RAM), so you can get a good idea of whats bottlenecking. However, the max column won't be a very good reference, since my GPU and CPU usage will occasionally spike to 100%. Looking at it while the game is open is your best bet. It's good to watch temps tho.

TRENDING THREADS