Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I am going to be building a pc for gaming soon but unsure of which cpu to choose. ive narrowed it down to the 3570k amd the 2500k but they look too similar. i will be using a pcie 3 graphics card, will be doing moderate overclocking (4-4.5ghz), I will use the hyper 212 evo to cool it. I know already the 2500k is cheaper so I will spend the £10-£20 on a better graphics card so based on this which one is better for gaming?

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

with the extra money I can buy myself a better 7950 if there isnt that much difference in performance

3570K im most cases are 3% faster than 2500K, whether 3% or 5% or even 10% doesn't affect the real world performance, in other words...there's no gain acquiring the 3570K.

The reason you should get the 2500k is for overclocking, all the Ivy Bridge CPUs get extremely hot when it surpass 4.0 GHzand performance gets throttled, and thus it needs a massive cooling system. The 2500K can go past 4.5 GHz with a $20 cooler.

Gallarian

Distinguished

Considering he said he can buy a better GPU by getting the i5-2500k, I wouldnt think it to be a good idea to blow £80 on top on an i7 instead.

Plus, hes building a gaming system - the 2600k offers no advantage.

dingo07

Distinguished

I'm 99% certain a build with an i7-2600K will beat a slower i5-2500K with the right motherboard - prove i'm wrong - you too Gallarian

The gap will only ever be tiny though. Here's an example:

F1%202010%201680.png

Yeah, I missed that, but still, your blanket statement that OC'ing required extra voltage (the way it was written implied "always"), just caught me off guard.

Gallarian

Distinguished

Unfortunately, as it is your statement, it is for you to provide evidence to support it, dont expect me to waste my time searching for links to show you something thats common knowledge - there is no point getting a 2600k over a 2500k for gaming as the benefits do not equal the price difference. That money can be spent on a better GPU that will actually matter.

dingo07

Distinguished

that's entirely Your Opinion... have you thought about someone not like yourself that cares not about price difference?

my statement is true - that an i7-2600K is faster than an i5-2500K - the symantics are just that, symantics - of whether you factor in price, and again, if you pair an i7-2600K up in a P8z77-WS that can take full advantage of it, it's ahead of the I5-2500K

Gallarian

Distinguished

Sorry, but have you even read anything the OP has said?

He is clearly on a budget, therefore my 'opinion' is entirely relevant and yours is not.

dingo07

Distinguished
if the comment is on topic, it's relevant

and just because you surmise the OP is on a budget, does not mean he actually is, or will not consider a better option even if the option cost more

it's human nature to make things happen if you want it to - which includes finding a way to get more cash for what you really want

Gallarian

Distinguished

Considering the topic is '2500k vs 3570k', then not really.

The OP clearly states thats he would use the money saved by going for the 2500k on a better GPU. Well, surely if he had the money he'd just by a better GPU anyway?

Also, seeing as your premise is 'performance at any cost' Im sure youll find better benchmarks with an i7-3960x, so why arent you recommending that?

The 2600k is a CPU w/o a market....if you can justify the extra $80 for the 2600k, it's kind of ridiculous to say the extra $10 for the 2700k is s deal breaker ....

As for the Sandy Bridge versus Ivy Bridge..... at stock and small to moderate OC's, the IB has slight advantage......at high OC's the IB just doesn't cut it, gets way too hot.

G

Ignore all this pointless arguing about more expensive CPU's , some people keep forgetting that a 3570k at 4.2 Ghz is roughly equal to a 2500k at 4.5 Ghz so you won't need to aim as high.

You may as well get the 3570k seen as the price difference is £10 and then carry out your plan with a 212 evo to around 4-4.4 Ghz and then get a 7950 or a GTX 670 and then you'll have a sweet gaming PC. You can't go wrong with either the 2500k or the 3570k though so it's your call.