[SOLVED] 3600/5700 build

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Hey, after way too long waiting, overthinking and waiting for stuff to release, I've put together an upcoming build of mine.

Briefly, I'd just like to hear some thoughts about it.

PURPOSE : Mainly 1080p gaming. Vanilla wow + COD's & what not. A powerful pc for 5+ years.
NOTE No heavy OC.
NOTE If needed, I will switch the GPU to an "aftermarket" 5700 that has better cooling once they release.
NOTE I will absolutely not buy any overpriced X570 board since got no use for PCiE 4.0 and what not.
NOTE I need the build asap, I've postponed the purchasing process for way too long. Can't wait for B550 + other releases/discounts towards the winter.

CPU: Ryzen 3600
GPU: Sapphire RX 5700
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C
MOBO: MSI Pro Carbon AC
SSD: Kingston A400 480GB
PSU: Super Flower Leadex lll 650W
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator CL16 3200mhz

(Extra 2x be quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans)

(Maybe a high quality budget CPU-cooler such as the Cryorig H7)

So yeah that's that. What do ya folks think? I will most certainly buy this anyway, but would just like to hear some thoughts from you more enlightened people :)

Last edited:

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Hey!

I ordered the parts mentioned above around 9 days ago and they are yet to arrive. I'll get them in a couple of days. Had to mainly wait for the Pro Carbon itself, since the Ryzen 3000 launch made them disappear from the shelves like crazy!

Therefore I cannot really provide any value for your question, but was there some specific information you were looking for regarding the mobo?

(In addition to the build I'm also going with a be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler, which I got brand new for around 35€ o_O)

Aug 6, 2019
Oh awesome. Thanks for the reply.
I suppose my question would be how you decided between the pro carbon over say the x570 Tuf Wifi. It seems the Carbon has all the features I would need, but so does the Tuf. What was your deciding factor? Is the 40 dollars difference not worth going to x570?

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Absolutely no problem. Casually checked the forums after some time @ work and it happened that you had just posted in here hehe.

For me the mobo "battle" was really only between the MSI Tomahawk & MSI Pro Carbon AC. I dropped out X570's very early. There's mainly personal/budget reasons for that, but also some technical ones:

+ AMD promised from very early on that Ryzen 3000 processors will have equal performance across B450/X470/X570, altough I'm yet to witness that myself.
+It (X570) has a PCiE 4.0 slot, but at the time the current GPU:s run almost exactly the same on a 3.0 slot (I think the performance difference was like 1-2%).
+ Since the X570-boards just launched, they are very expensive for what they provide imo considering the facts above. Altough having the future heavily in sight, an X570 is a good and secure solution. Nonetheless you see ppl rocking older boards to this day..... Personally I'd probably wait for the B550's....

Compared to the Tomahawk, with around 25€ more the Pro Carbon AC offered a better audio (Realtek ALC 1220 Codec), built in Intel LAN (I211AT) & built-in WiFi. The board also has a ton of slots etc for what not but I've not compared those to the Tomahawk. My wild guess is that they're quite identical regarding them.

I'm no expert, but I hope this enlightened/helped you even abit : ).

Aug 6, 2019
Thank you, definitely helpful. Yeah I think I'm leaning towards the carbon now. I was just concerned about the bios issue, but the bios flashback makes things much easier. I'd love for an update on how it's running when you get all setup. I have heard people complaining about the bios after flashing but that was a few weeks ago so it may have been updated.

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Well, about the B450-stuff. As my delivery was delayed even more, I stumbled upon an avalanche of B450 posting/flashing issues on a daily basis (mostly on reddit). One night I was thinking that I don't really have a few days to try and get my pc to flash/post/work in general..... So..... Our biggest component retailer has a 24/7 customer support, I called in and switched my B450 Pro Carbon AC to an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus. It was around 40€ more, but instantly suitable for the 3600 and yeah. I kept the ALC 1220 audio, which is great, but the X570 does not have an intel ethernet chip. Works more than perfectly with the one it has tho ;) (Realtek 8111H).

Nonetheless I got the parts two days ago and built the pc yesterday. I think I spent like 60% of the time building and 40% on cable management hahah. I've not done much on it, just finished installing windows and downloaded the driver files from the mobo support. I did some idle tests tho and my CPU temps sail around 30C, gotta love that Dark Rock Slim I got for 30€ ;p.

Hope this gave a little heads up or anything minimal. Sorry for the long time it took to post this, but there's very little to build when your components are not present :D!

+https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/ this is quite worrying to glance at. B450/Ryzen 3000 problems ALL OVER.+