[SOLVED] 3600 memory out of the box or with xmp?

bullzeye82

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Hey guys, I have recently bought a new pc, which was advertised with 64GB Dominator Platinum RGB 3600Mhz.
In BIOS, the memory shows as 2667Mhz on all 4 sticks, and when I click XMP Profile 1, it says 3600Mhz...
My question is, should the memory already be 3600Mhz with the XMP taking it higher, or is this correct?
Here are two images from CPU-Z
Help appreciated.
aeabca50b59ee2b8cd09f5c1644b6a2b.png
f074303ee69ba615c7b1469dd374c7b8.png

Solution
No. 2 x64 bit IS dual channel.

And your kit is 3600mhz. Period. The only way to get it to run faster than the XMP profile speed of 3600mhz would be to manually overclock it and that is a very extensive process, both time consuming and frustrating for very little gain. I don't recommend it for the faint of heart or those looking for quick gratification.
The memory is not going to run at 3600mhz unless you enable XMP/A-XMP/D.O.C.P (Depends on the board brand and platform, which of them, which are all the same anyhow, it will show as being). XMP must be enabled OR you must manually set the memory frequency to 3600mhz along with the correct DRAM voltage and at least the first four or five timings. Generally, most people don't want to mess with that, and it's recommended to simply enable XMP.

Based on your CPU-Z screenshots, your memory is ALREADY running at 1800mhz which in reality is 3600mhz since it is doubled due to being DDR (Double data rate) memory. I think you are misreading what is going on the BIOS as usually several numbers will show up but so long as XMP is enabled you should be good unless you encounter problems from it being incompatible RAM which is possible since I see it also showing up on the SPD tab next to "Max bandwidth" as 3596(1798mhz) which it should not be unless there is a problem.

That problem MIGHT be that you have multiple kits installed that are not all part of one matched set, or a problem with one DIMM somewhere, or even a BIOS issue.

The first thing you should do is check to see if there are any newer BIOS versions available. What BIOS version is currently installed?

What are your FULL hardware specifications? Please include exact model numbers, not "Ryzen 5" or "i7" or "16GB RAM". Exact model numbers for all hardware.

bullzeye82

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Hi Darkbreeze , Thankyou for the reply

The specs are

Motherboard : Aorus z590 Master
Memory : 4x16GB Corsair Dominator platinum rgb (64GB)
CPU : i7 11700k
GPU: RTX 3090

So basicly i thought 3600 was standard, then when you use XMP it would boost it up to 4200 or something like that..

But it seems you have to use XMP to get 3600.

Also , on the memory tab of cpuz , under channel. should this say "dual" rather than 2x 64 bit?

Last edited:
No. 2 x64 bit IS dual channel.

And your kit is 3600mhz. Period. The only way to get it to run faster than the XMP profile speed of 3600mhz would be to manually overclock it and that is a very extensive process, both time consuming and frustrating for very little gain. I don't recommend it for the faint of heart or those looking for quick gratification.

Reactions: bullzeye82
Solution